People still diy leds?

DIY is another aspect of the hobby. Not having a reef tank at all is the cheapest solution. If you enjoy building lights and controllers and have time to do it, that's why you do it, not to save money.
 
DIY is another aspect of the hobby. Not having a reef tank at all is the cheapest solution. If you enjoy building lights and controllers and have time to do it, that's why you do it, not to save money.


That depends on why a person wanted to DIY in the first place. If you DIY because you enjoy DIY then yes by all means do so but don't expect it to save you money. For me when I first started DIY LED (over 10 years ago) it was to save money (I was running 2 X 400W MH and using a lot of electricity and generating a lot of heat). LED lights were also very expensive back then and it made sense for me to just build my own. Nowadays with commercially available LED lights being as affordable as they are, the option to DIY for me is much less attractive.

Now that's not to say I wouldn't mod an existing LED unit to make it better though :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new