OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when i saw phillips coral grow led.light i was like well their goes the light bizz. Lol
Its a good thing i hope. Big name brand.like that making coral light.
D

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I' m concerned diy advantage is building it to your exact wants.
No "wasted" channels like dimming 75% of your Red, Green and white ect.
Even if you decide to overstock unnecessary colors you at least get to pick which channel you put them on.

You normally will never beat say a cheap Chinese black box w/ their questionable drivers, cheap optics and thin license plate heat sinks, not to mention fans.. (a love or hate thing most of the time).

Nor is it easy to beat higher end lights just on their, though limited (i.e not making a million lights in a run), purchasing of parts power.
Diodes, even some of the best, are much cheaper in the 100's or 1000's.

Hardest thing isn't cost it's making them look "pretty".
If you run a hood, well who cares then.

Next you can beat the "use as few brands as you can" thing picking the right product for you.

You know a lot of "advancements" in current products came about by the creative mind of DIY-ers.
Or at least I believe so.

Then there is just the fun part.

No, saving money is rarely what is going to happen and, obviously it is not for everyone.

Though I personally do freshwater DIY I think I can still see "mistakes" in most any lighting product.
Don't get me wrong, most are not critical mistakes like the orig cool white/ royal blue boxes but little things.

and you can make things that don't exist.
This is a "plan" using only 2 colors of diodes to emulate an Iwasaki 6500k MH..
6500k whites and Viosys violets.
About $400 for true 350Watts but need to add a controller.
As diy it would be easy to tweak the violet channel.
Note the wide blue spread.
Biggest risk would be is it too much red?
Does the uv matter (ther is plenty of mixed emotions on that one)?
Nobody commercially would probably build it and for a number of good reasons.

Point is try to find a 350W LED for $400.. ;)
Cheapest would be 3 "black boxes" and really 4 because you generally dim out 25% of it's potential.

viosysff-jpg.1145399

Second point is you can use diodes that nobody really thinks about.. Like the high CRI "fresh fish" (whites w/ supplemental cyan and red phosphors unlike "cheap" white leds) COB's used w/ the above.

Or ones not normally included in a light that has "most" of the other characteristics you want.
Or not using cheap plastic optics for true UV diodes. Or any high power (blue-violet) ones.

PC Amber and Lime (excluding mint though sort of a lime w/ attitude, just less phosphor to let the blue base shine through) are more exotic things not in all lights but have finally found some commercial use

BTW DIY-ers have been using them for as long as they were released.
Nanobox used lime as far back as 2014..
More than likely based on DIY success w/ it.

Nanobox was pretty much DIY gone commercial anyways..;)

To be honest w/ DIY the 2 most expensive things, not in any particular order is the controller and heat sink (mostly if fanless, can get away w/ a lot of expense by adding fans).
doing just on/off and manual dimmers adds only $7 per channel and one wall timer.

When you get really bored you design your own circuit boards and reflow your own diodes.
Fortunately fw so no big wattage demands..
14W boards..Built at this scale and as an assembled unit cost would come close to an AI prime but w/ better coverage and a better diode choice.
Diodes can be fw or sw centric.. My choice.

Cheap flea bay diodes have, at best only 1/2 the efficiency of name band emitters, can be poorly attached to their star boards causing rapid thermal death, can be mix/matched as to power ratings and spectrums ect ect.
They'll work if you want to rebuild a light every 3 years and be "patching" it here and there.

2.1W w/ 1100mW of photons (Seoul z) for $1 at steves is dirt cheap for quality..

My first fw lights were cheap if you don't include the fact that they were modified 3 times in 2 years making them better sometimes, just different other times. So not really cheap but cheaper than selling/re-buying and STILL not satisfied.
My first warm white 3w diodes.. ALL of them died withing a year or 2. Current ones are going on 5 years.

It's an illness.. ;) and hobbies should be fun.

On a sad note I never found a fw or sw commercial led (any light for that matter) that checked all the boxes in my head.
Some are very close, some close ones err disappeared, some close ones cost more than a small car.
Thinking about that crazy German panel w/ the "1000" zones.
Programming it would drive me crazy.

Needs/wants.. Need to know what they are for you and if you can find them commercially.

DIY helped reefing as did LED "failures"... No doubt about it.

On a fatalistic note.. there is no perfect light.

Attachments

• crispattitude.JPG
    crispattitude.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 42

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow my section on Luxeon crisp whites wasn't included in the "exotic" section.
This is a specialty warm white COB made to encourage fluorescence in paper and cloth.
Warm white with an "attitude".
Seems pretty photosynthetic friendly huh..

crispattitude.JPG

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noted the coolers in the thread.
It has been a great development in led efficiency.
In 2008 the blue leds were about 40% and white about 34%.
That means for a radiated light power of 100w You needed 250w input for blue and 203 w for white.
The Heat power was 150w for blue and 203w for white.

In 2021 the efficiency is 65% for blue and about 53% for white.
That means for a radiated light power of 100w You will need 154w for blue and 189w for white.
The heat power will be 54w for blue and 89w for white.

If we mix 50/50 the heat power has gone from 176.5 to 72.5w.
We need much less cooling today and passive cooling on a plate formed as a T5 light will dissipate enough for a tank of
40 gallon = 18 x 18 x 36 inches. A plate 5 inch wide and 36 inch length will transfer enough heat for 70w input and give about 100 par at the bottom. Just 1/16" aluminum.

Where are you getting your numbers?

In my experience, diodes got a lot better in the beginning but have been flat for the past 5 years, and almost flat the 5 before. So if there was a big step up in efficiency from 2008 to 2021, almost all of it was from 2008 to 2013 and the rest was from 2013 to 2018. I don't think many people were using LEDs (DIY or otherwise) on tanks in 2008.

I've never seen whites spec'd as bad as 34% or blues as good as 65%. Usually RB is the best around 60%, Violet/UV, then whites around 55% and blues around 50%. I don't currently have any cyans, but I had them before and feel they add a lot - except efficiency is crap (maybe 20%) and cost is very high.

These numbers are all diode losses. If you have lenses, that is a significant loss on top, and then ballasts are another big chunk. This is another cost advantage of DIY - a Radion's ballasts and optics might be comparable to a good DIY setup, but a VIPARSPECTRA is nowhere close. I have a 4'x4' tank so I don't need any optics, but Radion can't market a light for a 4'x4' tank and different optics for a 4'x2' tank. I've also thought of using a larger, more efficient ballast off a 220 line - again something with a small enough market we will never see commercialized.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crunching some # 's @ Steves Seoul z4 rb 1100mW @ 2.1A
52% diode conversion.

Biggest advancement lately seems in thermal stability and the rise of flip chips.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the exact same one s. Only I use (2) 100w 10k on my 110g. Also T5 for actinic blues. Great drivers. Super cheap, replace the LEDs every 18 months. At $12 each why wouldn't I. Just my opinion

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the exact same one s. Only I use (2) 100w 10k on my 110g. Also T5 for actinic blues. Great drivers. Super cheap, replace the LEDs every 18 months. At $12 each why wouldn't I. Just my opinion
I've used those before, as well as the 460nm-470nm Blues. I'm not sure if "why wouldn't I" was rhetorical but you are far better spending the $14 up front to run each at 50W over 3 years. At 100w these degrade or burn out for me in a year or two. At 50w they seem good as new years later.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the blue leds are usually specified at around 60%. But if You underdrive them and choose a bin with low forward voltage they reach the 65%. Leds are cheap now so if your electricity bill is high You can double or triple the amount of them to get a higher efficiency and lifespan.
In 2013 there where whites of 100 lumen per watt. They are better now.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drivers i think are the only real thing i need to research...
Making a diy moonlight now to play and learn a little with. The wires are even solderless. Lol. Well see. Im thinking hot glue gun to attach to heat sinks. 80deg optics on my moons.
Blue or white?!
Lol
Royal blue has been recommended.

On the topic note. Ive been through countless led fixtures and the t5 bulbs will add up over the years so a quality diy build might be my future. Did i already say that? Lol man im old.
Maybe a diy retrofit 2 or 4 bulb t5 invloved too we will see.
Thanks all!
-d
Leds get extremely hot. I’d be surprised if they run for 60 seconds with hot glue before being destroyed. You need thermal grease. They also make thermal epoxy that can be used.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leds get extremely hot. I’d be surprised if they run for 60 seconds with hot glue before being destroyed. You need thermal grease. They also make thermal epoxy that can be used.
Rounding out the possibilities of thermal "glues".
They have thermal tape.
And thermal silicone i.e. "heatsink plaster" and asst silicone based products.
And of course 2 part epoxies.

Yea hot melt glue is a BAD idea.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see if the thermal pads i got will hold the leds and optics... idk. I got a fancy heat sink too. Lol
D
I have used thermal tape and it was pretty terrible. Not sure about thermal pads. Its cheaper to DIY a light but still not really cheap. I abandoned the tape for thermal grease and screws. If you ever need to replace an led you're going to hate that pad due to the fact that it'll need to be scraped off. Hopefully they will work well enough that you won't have to worry about that.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to DIY a lot of stuff (LEDs, skimmers, even wave makers/propeller pumps and what have you.) But the prices of the commercially available stuff have gone way down (the law of supply and demand) that it just doesn't make a lot of sense to DIY anymore.

I still love the shimmer from my DIY LEDs on the old tank though

tank_full.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back