Peppermint shrimp eating my torch

SolarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just purchased a torch coral, put it in the tank and immediately my peppermint shrimp came over and looked like he was ripping the heads apart. What’s going on? It’s an expensive coral and I don’t want to lose it. Do I remove the shrimp?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the shrimp…peppermint shrimp are iffy when it comes to corals…had one for about 2 days and went after my torch…he is no longer in the tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my various shrimp look like they are attacking my corals from time to time but they are just picking off microfauna and other tiny food particles that might be there. I've had no coral losses due to shrimp.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen peppermint shrimp completely demolish two healthy heads of blastomussa overnight right after they were added to the tank. I say they were healthy because they miraculously regrew the lost tissue from the faintest florescent scraps, since I'd decided to let the frag stay in the tank to see what happens. Some crazy regeneration.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had them eat coral. Including a torch. 6 of them ripping it apart after lights out. And I bought the supposedly reef safe ones from live aquaria. And the tank had aiptasia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello I just purchased a torch coral, put it in the tank and immediately my peppermint shrimp came over and looked like he was ripping the heads apart. What’s going on? It’s an expensive coral and I don’t want to lose it. Do I remove the shrimp?
A reason I dont allow Peppermints, leather filefish or emerald crabs in my tanks

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back