Peppermint shrimp ordered

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally am joining the team fighting apstatia, I ordered my first peppermint shrimp, after a month of letting 2 bergula nudibranch try and attack it. They did nothing so far, and haven't seen them since I placed them.

So I figured, what the heck I'll order 1 peppermint shrimp and see how it goes.

I ordered from Candy Corals here in Ontario, Canada. Hopefully they work and my apstatia will be gone, these are some of them.
IMG_20200829_194225.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally am joining the team fighting apstatia, I ordered my first peppermint shrimp, after a month of letting 2 bergula nudibranch try and attack it. They did nothing so far, and haven't seen them since I placed them.

So I figured, what the heck I'll order 1 peppermint shrimp and see how it goes.

I ordered from Candy Corals here in Ontario, Canada. Hopefully they work and my apstatia will be gone, these are some of them.
IMG_20200829_194225.jpg
Had sucess with a filefish, took him a couple of weeks to get 5he idea.

If the shrimp didn't get the memo.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had excellent results with peppermint shrimp, but you have to have enough of them so they can get ahead of the aiptasia. Peppermint shrimp also may be reluctant to eat aiptasia that are far from the rockwork. Especially if you have fish that sometimes eat shrimp.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am fighting the same battle. How did the shrimp work out? I have a filefish and that ******* has not eaten a petal of aptasia. He is the first to eat the Nori strips from the tangs. I was thinking of evicting him. Had him over 1.5 years eats everything else but aptasia. LFS bragged on what a might job he did in their tanks yeah right I guess he went on strike when he got to mine. Not to mention
before I put my canopy on he kept jumping into my dual overflows.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, 12?!?

Peppermint shrimp need to be starved to make them hunt for the aiptasia. Don't overfeed your fish, and if you spot feed any corals be prepared for them to rip the food right out of their mouths. I had 2 of them that took care of the few aiptasia in my tank, but they also terrorized my acans, lobo, and a little BTA I had. By the time I kicked them to the sump I hated them more than I care to admit.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Geez, 12?!?

Peppermint shrimp need to be starved to make them hunt for the aiptasia. Don't overfeed your fish, and if you spot feed any corals be prepared for them to rip the food right out of their mouths. I had 2 of them that took care of the few aiptasia in my tank, but they also terrorized my acans, lobo, and a little BTA I had. By the time I kicked them to the sump I hated them more than I care to admit.
my tank is a 210 and I have like 4 scans that have grown on one plug if they eat it then that's fine as long as they eat they aptasia too. If they don't then I will be getting a triggerfish and a wrasse :)

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Had one in my new tank and he was awesome till I bought a expensive favia frag from WWC. Day after I added it half of it was gone. Came out that night to see the peppermint shrimp going to town. Took me all weekend to catch it and throw it in the sump. Luckily the frag is growing back in and the shrimp is doing fine in the sump.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good thing is I don't have favias but if I catch any of the 12 eating my sticks then surely I will get a wrasse ahead of my planned schedule. I also will get a trigger fish.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peppermint shrimp are slow at task, but do eat some here and there. But the ones putting in work are the Berghia nudibranchs, I've seen about 5 so far, and about as long as a quarter. When I got the 2 nudibranch I thought for sure they were dead, but poof there they were, I was worried and still am, that the shrimp will eat the nudis...then I'll be upset.
The apstatia is slowly diminishing, but I never expected it to be done quickly.
IMG_20200928_130346.jpg
IMG_20200928_011839.jpg
IMG_20200919_191838.jpg
IMG_20200928_131920.jpg
IMG_20200928_131945.jpg

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the thing. If your peppermint shrimp find another food source. Like certain torch’s. They will go after the torch or other food source before they will attempt to eat the aiptasia. I ordered 5 peppermint shrimp. Ate the first few aiptasia the they figured they could help themselves with a torch I just happened to buy. Well, the torch was all gone by the next morning. And the aiptasia too. So I have them in a breeder basket. So instead, I’ve decided to use lemon juice. It helps, but you must watch how much you use. Too much and it starts to affect other things..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back