Perhaps an odd question from a new reef sailor

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and WELCOME!
These are 'general rules' and are best to be followed based on your priorities. Having to buy corals to feed your fish is costly and irresponsible IMHO and what will likely happen if you try and break these 'general rules'. There are caveats, however. Sometimes you can get non-reef safe fish trained to only eat flake, pellet, frozen, etc. but this generally requires a time commitment and a fish only set up for a number of years. Then you can place them in your reef. This is still a gamble though. A trained fish may be fine in your reef for any particular period of time then one day happens to take a nibble on a coral or invert and, well, that is the end of that saga. I have done it with a few fish and invariably all "trained" fish will still take some nibbles. Best to keep them well fed with quality food-stuffs and hope they don't acquire a taste for your favorite coral.
Hit Like and Share often!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I feel your pain. I wish I could keep a bi-colored parrot and clown trigger, maybe someday if I go back to fish only

76ED34CC-A9D8-45B2-8ECA-AD9DAFF187A9.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome. I feel your pain. I wish I could keep a bi-colored parrot and clown trigger, maybe someday if I go back to fish only

That's an easy solution - just get another tank!!! :D

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I think we will purposefully "feed" corals to our fish. Why should we deny them their natural food as we keep them in captivity. Right now it seems absurd but as we get better at growing corals we find some become "weeds". Why not feed them to our fish as food instead of throwing them out when we can't sell or give them all away. Seems taboo but a lot of taboo's become the norm in life. This would allow us to successfully keep some new fish types.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At some point I think we will purposefully "feed" corals to our fish. Why should we deny them their natural food as we keep them in captivity. Right now it seems absurd but as we get better at growing corals we find some become "weeds". Why not feed them to our fish as food instead of throwing them out when we can't sell or give them all away. Seems taboo but a lot of taboo's become the norm in life. This would allow us to successfully keep some new fish types.

Interesting perspective! I look forward to the day when we have too many corals!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back