Perhaps an odd question from a new reef sailor

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings all. As we all know, some fish are described as reef incompatible due to their nibbling etc. I was wondering about their behavior out in the wild. Does the scale of our aquariums modify their behavior since their water space is limited, and are there any means to compensate for this. I’d like to have live rock and some corals with some of these incompatible beings, or am it as nuts as people say, ha.
Thanks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! The short answer is yes - glass boxes impacts fish behavior.

FishLipstick.gif

This is a great question and I look forward to seeing the array of responses! We're glad you're here and now part of this really neat community!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings all. As we all know, some fish are described as reef incompatible due to their nibbling etc. I was wondering about their behavior out in the wild. Does the scale of our aquariums modify their behavior since their water space is limited, and are there any means to compensate for this. I’d like to have live rock and some corals with some of these incompatible beings, or am it as nuts as people say, ha.
Thanks.

A parrotfish in the wild cruises around and takes bites from coral heads more or less at random. In your tank, it takes a bite, "goes around the block" and then bites the same live coral head over and over until you are left with coral sand and a hungry fish that wants more coral.
It's not quite that simple, but that is the general idea.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! I believe when fish are kept in a glass box, their behavior changes. All you have to do is dive a reef somewhere to see the difference. Still, some fish are obligate coralavores. The parrotfish that @KrisReef mentioned is a great example. Others, like some of the questionable dwarf angels, like to pull the slime off corals and often like the fleshy parts of LPSs. In a contained environment, the have a limited amount of choices. They end up nibbling on the same stuff over and over. I would love to have some large butterflies or angels but I have so much money dumped into corals that I would be a fool to try it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks.
Wild fish are constantly foraging for food and have an adequate source such as plankton, vegetation, etc. In closed tank environment, they use the same habits but are limited to constant source and tend to nibble on coral

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back