Permanent placement of frags

saintperez

Santiago
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
216
Reaction score
4
Location
Boca Raton, FL.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how many of you guys take the coral off the frag plug when permanently placing. Some of my frags are on the quarter size plates. Doesn't
Blend Into the rock work. Any tips?
 
I cut nearly all of my frags off of plugs - if at all possible. I prefer to glue them on my rock structure, or at least onto a piece of rubble rock heavy enough to become a base for the frag as it grows. Sounds like you also don't care for the look of frag discs in your reef. I know I prefer to not see them in mine.
 
I drilled 1/4" holes in my rock before placing in the tank. I mount my frags to 3/16" rigid airline tubing. Sometimes I use a small piece of Oatey fix-it-stick to fashion a small surface at one end of a 1 1/2" long piece of the tubing to mount the frag on. Being pegged in the rock keeps it in place long enough for it to have a chance to encrust, and keep it from being knocked around.
 
Crush the frag apart, then glue the coral to the rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new