Peroxide and the use against flatworm

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so someone please enlighten me. Got dinos in both my tanks . they both get same water from water changes. Same food. Same mechanical filtration . no cross contamination other then a pipette i use to feed and they both got dinos (the bad bad snail killing, whaling messenterial filament kind) i use peroxide as a dip and as a dip only for red wire brush and bryopsis . now ive never dosed a tank and justin credibles crazyyy mind somehow led me to buying a bottle of 35% hydrogen peroxide. My dt that im really really stressed out about houses enuff corals that iwould litterally quit the hobby if they died (plus fish and snails) , and the other is my coralfrag tank qt that carrys a cleaner shrimp and an anemone. Any thoughts were,how,time to start and keep me sane while dosing this

I would first dilute your 35% bottle down to 3% which is much more manageable. Also be careful with the 35% stuff it will burn the S#%& out of you if in contact with your skin for even a very short time. Easiest way to dilute to 3% is to add 8.6 mL of 35% hydrogen peroxide into 91.4 mL of RO/DI water (100 ml total volume). Then you can dose more in line with 1 ml/8 gallons of water and work your way up or down from there. My tank at 150 gallons water volume only needs about 18.7 mL to reach this dosing. Make it fresh each time you need it or find a dark amber bottle to store it and keep in a dark location as H2O2 will break down with exposure to light and one of the reasons it packaged in black plastic bottles.

Hope this gives you a better starting point, but as far as amount to dose for dinoflagilates that I don't know a good answer to better to be safe and start low and work your way up, nice thing is H2O2 breaks down to water and O2 in a short period so should not have an additive effect if you wait at least 24 hours between doses.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would first dilute your 35% bottle down to 3% which is much more manageable. Also be careful with the 35% stuff it will burn the S#%& out of you if in contact with your skin for even a very short time. Easiest way to dilute to 3% is to add 8.6 mL of 35% hydrogen peroxide into 91.4 mL of RO/DI water (100 ml total volume). Then you can dose more in line with 1 ml/8 gallons of water and work your way up or down from there. My tank at 150 gallons water volume only needs about 18.7 mL to reach this dosing. Make it fresh each time you need it or find a dark amber bottle to store it and keep in a dark location as H2O2 will break down with exposure to light and one of the reasons it packaged in black plastic bottles.

Hope this gives you a better starting point, but as far as amount to dose for dinoflagilates that I don't know a good answer to better to be safe and start low and work your way up, nice thing is H2O2 breaks down to water and O2 in a short period so should not have an additive effect if you wait at least 24 hours between doses.
THANK you lol new to peroxide dosing just trying to makesure the halflife before i start dosing

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone other than NanaReefer have noticed any ill effects to zoanthids while dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide (1ml to 10gal)?

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone other than NanaReefer have noticed any ill effects to zoanthids while dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide (1ml to 10gal)?

From what I've read it can vary dependent on which zoa you have. I have successfully treated some of my zoa colonies to kill algae by dipping for 2 minutes in a 25% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide and they can through fine. you might start at a quarter dose (1ml per 40 gallons) and see if any corals look unhappy then bump up from there.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps any, I cannot recall any loss of any zoanthid even in the overdose threads, only weeks of anger and then eventual reopen, maybe some pigment changes in retort for the insult. we classify healthy zoanthids as the most tolerable coral of all to peroxide, thick skinned rascals. nice dermis, man.

that's not to say some stressed singularly stalked/unconnected zos didn't let go and float off, but the colonials I cannot recall one single loss among five thousand treatments. if there is one, it wasn't part of any recurring theme in our threads.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I didnt get any alerts to new posts.
This thread and directions is for the use against flatworm.
Lets please try to keep on topic as this thread is now showing up as dinos.

This method will NOT work against dinos

Thank you all!

Last edited:

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found you can safely dose 1ml per 8 gallons but that is MAX per 24 hours :)

I've seen little issue with 37.5ml per 120g TWV, but that also includes 12.5ml of glycerine. I have a 30-ish frag of green paly and a 30-ish frag of red zoa. Neither have been super happy, but I've not seen and major reaction or die-off yet. I've been periodically spot-dosing 50ml in my 90g display several weeks now, killing hair algae. I did see a reduction in flat worms, but I also had a spike in cyano due to the carbon source so it's tough to know what was flat worm and what was cyano scrapings from the glass.

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an issue with green slime algae all of a sudden and I do have flatworms so I'm wondering if this would help me shoot two birds with one stone but I have a lot of nice corals that I don't want to kill

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started testing a 50ml 2:1 mixing syringe setup for dosing peroxide and glycerine. Whatever does not react with the organics it touches, will dilute into the water. The carbon will be consumed within 24-48 hours depending on how much you dose and how often. Here's a sample treatment video I finished today and uploaded. Some of the peroxide will soak into the pores of the rock, so you may initially see a flood of flat worms come out and hang out on the tank. You may also see pods running around in terror if you have any live ones in the rock.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Todd @twilliard , despite all of my coral dipping and QT I have somehow managed to get flatworms into my tank and I want them gone, do you want some? ;) I don't believe that I have very many yet as I've just started noticing them. I also have them in my frag tank, from another source! I'm thinking that I should maybe start there? This is under 60x magnification, they're really tiny!

Flatworm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Todd @twilliard , despite all of my coral dipping and QT I have somehow managed to get flatworms into my tank and I want them gone, do you want some? ;) I don't believe that I have very many yet as I've just started noticing them. I also have them in my frag tank, from another source! I'm thinking that I should maybe start there? This is under 60x magnification, they're really tiny!

Flatworm.jpg
Oh no sorry that you picked them up!
Are they noticeable in large numbers?
I can't remember but do you run a sump?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no sorry that you picked them up!
Are they noticeable in large numbers?
I can't remember but do you run a sump?
No, I don't really see a lot of them and I siphoned out the few that I saw in my DT. As for the frag tank, I see some on the glass, but haven't really noticed any on the coral yet! I have a 40 breeder sump!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to know if they are susceptible to peroxide.
Get a white cup add tank water (about 1 cup) and add a few of those bad boys in there.
They should settle down quickly.
Add 5 drops of peroxide and observe the reactions. If they start swimming in circles that is a good sign
Give time and they should roll up into a ball and die.

From there the system can be treated :)

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to know if they are susceptible to peroxide.
Get a white cup add tank water (about 1 cup) and add a few of those bad boys in there.
They should settle down quickly.
Add 5 drops of peroxide and observe the reactions. If they start swimming in circles that is a good sign
Give time and they should roll up into a ball and die.

From there the system can be treated :)
Thank you Todd! I will tackle this tomorrow and keep you posted. On my way to town this morning! Hopefully, they will all die!!! ;)

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! I just ran the test and all 3 flatworms died! Now, I just need to treat the frag tank and the DT!

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, before I do this, do you or @brandon429 know if this will affect my starfish or the small hitch hiker clams in my tank? I also saw that Brandon said it may kill Xenia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back