peroxide dip. good or bad for coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bolo1904
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bolo1904

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 10, 2020
Messages
34
Reaction score
25
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green Palua Neptha Leather. its rock it was attached to had a small infestation of bubble algae. I pulled the rock and coral from the DT into a bucket of DT water, and removed whatever bubbles i could from the rock. I wanted to ensure i killed off any algae and possible spores left on the rock so i dipped the rock in roughly 3:1 to 4:1 hydrogen peroxide(3%). I didnt do exact measurementm, just "eyeballed" it. Dip was only deep enough the submerge the rock and small amount of the base of the leather. I didnt want to dip the coral. I figured it would be okay out in open air out of the water for the 2 minutes i wanted to dip the rock. Well i stepped away to answer the door and when i came back, the rock/coral tipped over and the coral was in the dip. I rinsed well in clean display water and put it back in the DT. Well 24 hrs later, the coral still has not extended, and its green outer later/skin is shedding. Color is now gone where it has shed. Still some green where it hasnt shed but it appears it will shed it all eventually. Did i kill the coral? Will it recover?
 
I did a thread here when I nuked my tank with the 30% variety. So just for sample size: Sps all died, LPS mostly survived, the leathers were p*zzed but survived...
So give it time, I’d say it’s too early to write it off just yet
 
I did a thread here when I nuked my tank with the 30% variety. So just for sample size: Sps all died, LPS mostly survived, the leathers were p*zzed but survived...
So give it time, I’d say it’s too early to write it off just yet
Thanks. today it did a lot of shedding. A lot of skin floating around in the tank so every once in awhile i would pull it out of the DT and give it a few shakes in a small tub of DT water to release its shedding skin. I didnt want the dead skin decaying in the tank. I also moved the rock to spot with a lil bit less light and lil bit less current. A bit of a "calmer" place to let it recover. It still isn't extending but it does look like it has some life in him. hopefully it will recover. Like you said, too early to say. I'll give it some time
 
It's no biggie I dipped a large sinularia in peroxide fully submerged it turned dark purple and then shed and looked great after plus no algae on it. Highish flow will help it she'd I blasted mine with a turkey baster a few times to help the stubborn bits. Just put some fresh carbon in there and consider a water change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new