peroxide dip. good or bad for coral?

bolo1904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green Palua Neptha Leather. its rock it was attached to had a small infestation of bubble algae. I pulled the rock and coral from the DT into a bucket of DT water, and removed whatever bubbles i could from the rock. I wanted to ensure i killed off any algae and possible spores left on the rock so i dipped the rock in roughly 3:1 to 4:1 hydrogen peroxide(3%). I didnt do exact measurementm, just "eyeballed" it. Dip was only deep enough the submerge the rock and small amount of the base of the leather. I didnt want to dip the coral. I figured it would be okay out in open air out of the water for the 2 minutes i wanted to dip the rock. Well i stepped away to answer the door and when i came back, the rock/coral tipped over and the coral was in the dip. I rinsed well in clean display water and put it back in the DT. Well 24 hrs later, the coral still has not extended, and its green outer later/skin is shedding. Color is now gone where it has shed. Still some green where it hasnt shed but it appears it will shed it all eventually. Did i kill the coral? Will it recover?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thread here when I nuked my tank with the 30% variety. So just for sample size: Sps all died, LPS mostly survived, the leathers were p*zzed but survived...
So give it time, I’d say it’s too early to write it off just yet

OP
OP
B

bolo1904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thread here when I nuked my tank with the 30% variety. So just for sample size: Sps all died, LPS mostly survived, the leathers were p*zzed but survived...
So give it time, I’d say it’s too early to write it off just yet
Thanks. today it did a lot of shedding. A lot of skin floating around in the tank so every once in awhile i would pull it out of the DT and give it a few shakes in a small tub of DT water to release its shedding skin. I didnt want the dead skin decaying in the tank. I also moved the rock to spot with a lil bit less light and lil bit less current. A bit of a "calmer" place to let it recover. It still isn't extending but it does look like it has some life in him. hopefully it will recover. Like you said, too early to say. I'll give it some time

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use peroxide without ill effects. Here is a guide for dipping.

OP
OP
B

bolo1904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use peroxide without ill effects. Here is a guide for dipping.
Yea unfortunately not for me.

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no biggie I dipped a large sinularia in peroxide fully submerged it turned dark purple and then shed and looked great after plus no algae on it. Highish flow will help it she'd I blasted mine with a turkey baster a few times to help the stubborn bits. Just put some fresh carbon in there and consider a water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back