Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these back in January
Left to right:
HW maybe added a coralite or two
Ding Dang not much
WD all those nubs are new and grow really quick
SCOP not much happening yet. Maybe thicker.
PC Rainbow going fast

Very limited PE.
19868.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these back in January
Left to right:
HW maybe added a coralite or two
Ding Dang not much
WD all those nubs are new and grow really quick
SCOP not much happening yet. Maybe thicker.
PC Rainbow going fast

Very limited PE.
19868.jpg

Beautiful pic Scott, love those mini-colonies in the background too! That's a nice lot of frags on the rack :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He most certainly won’t grow if you call him names.

Very nice!

:D Trust me, my corals have heard me say much much worse.

Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all,
I finally got the gumption to pull my crushed coral bed today :) I decided for a smaller grain size sand, with a 2" depth. What a freaking mess!!! Tried really hard to get the scape back the way it was, but inevitably its changed a bit, that and re-gluing several frags. All in all it turned out pretty nice :) I did this mainly due to the crushed coral trapping detritus and no3 running too high for my fancy. Also, the larger grain of crushed coral allowed for bubble algae to grow on sand bed, no bueno. Going to take a page out of Brandon's book, and start siphoning sand every water change. So far corals and fish a bit ticked off, but things should settle in due time.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well all,
I finally got the gumption to pull my crushed coral bed today :) I decided for a smaller grain size sand, with a 2" depth. What a freaking mess!!! Tried really hard to get the scape back the way it was, but inevitably its changed a bit, that and re-gluing several frags. All in all it turned out pretty nice :) I did this mainly due to the crushed coral trapping detritus and no3 running too high for my fancy. Also, the larger grain of crushed coral allowed for bubble algae to grow on sand bed, no bueno. Going to take a page out of Brandon's book, and start siphoning sand every water change. So far corals and fish a bit ticked off, but things should settle in due time.
I picked up a tiger tail cucumber and it's doing a great job of running through the sand. So much so, that it split and I now have two. Although they doesn't discriminate where they leave the leftovers, but you can see a nice clean section of sand afterwards. Just need to add a couple fighting conchs to help out. You should try a few natural cleaners to help out.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a tiger tail cucumber and it's doing a great job of running through the sand. So much so, that it split and I now have two. Although they doesn't discriminate where they leave the leftovers, but you can see a nice clean section of sand afterwards. Just need to add a couple fighting conchs to help out. You should try a few natural cleaners to help out.
They are great. The pink cucumbers with traces of black are my favorite.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I am not a fan of the siphon deal. I also have had great success with cucumbers as well, and may have to up my CUC and add several different inverts to aid in stirring the sand. As the dust is finally settling, and tank clearing up, I am really glad I decided to make the swap :) I imagine I will have to start dosing more minerals as well, the crushed coral served its purpose, time to move on ,lol.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I am not a fan of the siphon deal. I also have had great success with cucumbers as well, and may have to up my CUC and add several different inverts to aid in stirring the sand. As the dust is finally settling, and tank clearing up, I am really glad I decided to make the swap :) I imagine I will have to start dosing more minerals as well, the crushed coral served its purpose, time to move on ,lol.
I just made up some diy all for reef for my nano, but I have to wait until the alk comes down. It's currently 10dkh, but now I have coral in there to use it up, just gotta make sure they survive.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all,

I know the pain. I am in the process of doing the same thing right now as well. I am sucking out sand little by little with every water change over the next month or so until there is no more. Going to run a bare bottom or very little sand. I have limited flow because of the sand. Any more and a sandstorm is in the tank.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pain. I am in the process of doing the same thing right now as well. I am sucking out sand little by little with every water change over the next month or so until there is no more. Going to run a bare bottom or very little sand. I have limited flow because of the sand. Any more and a sandstorm is in the tank.

Always something, but I wouldn't ditch the sand, just put in a bucket, use salwater from tank when doing a change, and simply rinse, pour out dirty water, repeat until clean. You could always fabricate a dsb in a bucket to continue with the nitrate control, as well as surface area for bacteria homing. The idea of bb is great, but I love all that sand has to offer, as well as stabilizing the system. It does get gunky though, every time I remove sand, I say no more, then do it again, glutton for punishment I suppose :) I have a tunze 6095 wide open, a crosswave gyre type pump, and mp10 on reefcrest at 90% and despite smaller grain size, no real storm. Albeit, I have a mp40 on the way to replace the tunze, and crosswave will be moved. You just have to get super creative with the flow, but it's doable, just a pita to get dialed in :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have them then look at dove snails, like baby nasa snails and they live in the sand, they breed like crazy as well but stay under one cm.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're very similar to strombus snails or nano conchs. My guess is there are several species that get grouped together under the nano conch name. I have what I believe to be strombus maculatus in my tanks and they reproduce like crazy, which I love. So if you look up nano conch or strombus grazer, you'll most likely find a good candidate. They're right up there with stomatellas.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're very similar to strombus snails or nano conchs. My guess is there are several species that get grouped together under the nano conch name. I have what I believe to be strombus maculatus in my tanks and they reproduce like crazy, which I love. So if you look up nano conch or strombus grazer, you'll most likely find a good candidate. They're right up there with stomatellas.

Will do John,
I have so many stomatellas it ridiculous, I have a 20 gallon with simple hang on filter and some rock that also has hundreds of them. I may have to offer them up locally. Either way, more grazers isn't a bad thing. I also have crazy amounts of limpets.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back