Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!
I have areanged to get a 4 pack of acros next week, so the list will grow. Totally psyched to get back RMF Acid Trip, by far my most favorite acro.
Also getting PC Rainbow, Vivid's Rainbow, and Pearlberry. Here is what mine used to look like :)

IMG_8063.jpg
I was gonna ask if you were going to get the Acid Trip again! Nice work it's on my list of wants as well because of you.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice I just got another pearlberry I’m knocking on wood this one does well. It such a cool acro.

I had a Pearlberry in my old 70 gallon Zeovit cube, I actually had ORA contact me for rights to my pic to put on their website, I absolutely love the Pearlberry, was my #1 until the Acid Trip, lol :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna ask if you were going to get the Acid Trip again! Nice work it's on my list of wants as well because of you.

I found the piece on accident, I inquired on some other pieces, it was actually on this hobbyists already cut list. So stoked!
Thanks for the kind words Tim!
Cheers

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 to 3 times daily, sometimes more.
The industry needs to automate a way to feed frozen or refrigerated foods, most people are away from there tanks all day,
How long do you think a tank needs before adding acros? ...is there a indicator you use,

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread yesterday regarding filter socks, so I decided to pull it, and load up the back 2 return chambers to include all live rock from my cube, which is nearly broken down. I also put a powerhead in each of those chambers to suspend detritus. My thoughts are to add additional biofiltration. Pardon the wires, getting closer, lol.
Next to add magnetic skins to the sides of stand exposed/ viewing. My wife asks me everyday, how much longer, lol.

20191105_153206.jpg 20191105_153226.jpg

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry,
I remember your threads on RC back in the day. You were the first one I recall using AF supplements and got great results.
I also remember going back and forth with Wrangy, (Fanta-Pants) and Biggles regarding flubber etc...
I got out of the hobby for a few years and have begun drifting back into it...I went to RC and everyone was gone...now I know where.

Cant wait to see this tank grow and mature.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The industry needs to automate a way to feed frozen or refrigerated foods, most people are away from there tanks all day,
How long do you think a tank needs before adding acros? ...is there a indicator you use,
Hi Siggy,
You probably will have fun seeing my quirky methods, they are quite non conventional, lol. I am a true believer in observation as my primary guide to understanding husbandry. I am a firm believer in NSW values, as it relates to keeping SPS. As far as when to add acros, when I feel I have a good enough bioload, and strong export to match. PE is my #1 indicator. I have heard so many concepts and methods, but each system is different. Keep in mind, the rock I started the system with was wet for 3 years. This is why I decided to move forward, that and the fact that within 2 days, NO3 and PO4 were zero. There was no real cycle, sure I may encounter mini cycle, but confident that the heart of my system, the skimmer is up to the task. Above, you will see I decided to add around 40 more lbs. of rock, also wet for 3 years.
The tank was cleaned well with vinegar before install, but the rock was ready to go. Most recommend to wait until coraline is present, I think like quarter size, as a general rule. Again, I use my own set of rules which is not conventional, but seems to have worked well for me in the past, fingers crossed :) If it gets ugly, I will post that too, lol.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry,
I remember your threads on RC back in the day. You were the first one I recall using ** supplements and got great results.
I also remember going back and forth with Wrangy, (Fanta-Pants) and Biggles regarding flubber etc...
I got out of the hobby for a few years and have begun drifting back into it...I went to RC and everyone was gone...now I know where.

Hey buddy!
Long time, no worries, I also took a 3 year hiatus from SPS, and yes, RC is dead, lol. Thanks for checking out the journal. Hopefully @Biggles will get out and keep us all in check with his crazy/quirky, but insanely effective methods and commentary, lol :)
Cheers my friend, great to see you back in!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy
Get you one of these, I put in 4 to 5 cubes of PE mysis and use tank water in the squirt bottle. Just walk by the tank, give it a couple of squirts, and refrigerate.
Yes, automation is great, I fear this type of device would be out of my budget, lol. Because this is so easy to use to feed, i encourage my wife to also feed before work. Luckily my schedule allows for me to be around to feed several times per day. I want the whole family getting involved and learning to respect this amazing hobby ;)
Cheers

20191105_161826.jpg

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that you're cramming LR in those spaces. I always worry about detritus accumulation in my overflow as well. I've tried siporax before but it ended up tanking my nutrients too much so I had to pull it. Makes me think I need to get creative with live rock especially with my open concept aquascape. Love to see the progress Perry!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Pearlberry in my old 70 gallon Zeovit cube, I actually had ORA contact me for rights to my pic to put on their website, I absolutely love the Pearlberry, was my #1 until the Acid Trip, lol :)
That’s awesome, probably one of the pics that sold me on it. I don’t have an acid trip but I do have a ASD rainbow that I’m growing out which I hear is very similar

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome, probably one of the pics that sold me on it. I don’t have an acid trip but I do have a ASD rainbow that I’m growing out which I hear is very similar
Yes this is true, they are similar, in fact, my buddy who I scored the 1st round of frags from has a mini colony of ASD Milli, and it has intense orange coloration, so given the right conditions, it may be difficult to distinguish between the two :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that you're cramming LR in those spaces. I always worry about detritus accumulation in my overflow as well. I've tried siporax before but it ended up tanking my nutrients too much so I had to pull it. Makes me think I need to get creative with live rock especially with my open concept aquascape. Love to see the progress Perry!
Hi Tim
I do not fancy bio media for this tank, hence the reason to add all the rock. My sump, as you can see is huge, I still have a chamber available before the return pump that is available, despite the additional rock. If push comes to shove, I will add chaeto to that chamber. I highly doubt that will happen, but its there in case. I am not interested, in using a bacteria and carbon source for this tank, siporax and other biological media are effective, and have served me well, but agree they can be too effective. I guess we will see what happens, lol :)
Cheers

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry,
I remember your threads on RC back in the day. You were the first one I recall using ** supplements and got great results.

Fanta-pants... SCUSE ME :p Biggles is still around, he's a dirty lurker mostly haha

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....Hows it going Dom?
Still got the earmuff wrasse? You were responsible for me wanting and obtaining a pair of them a couple of years ago.
when I shut down my system, I sold the pair to a local reefer who still has the smaller one, the larger one recently died..presumably of old age since this guy can keep amazing SPS and has some very delicate fish as well.

Glad to find you guys again...

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....Hows it going Dom?
Still got the earmuff wrasse? You were responsible for me wanting and obtaining a pair of them a couple of years ago.
when I shut down my system, I sold the pair to a local reefer who still has the smaller one, the larger one recently died..presumably of old age since this guy can keep amazing SPS and has some very delicate fish as well.

Glad to find you guys again...
Really good man, we just bought a house and I've just setup the new tank, you should come say hello in the thread haha

I lost my earmuff about a month ago :( I think it was old age as she/he was about 5/6 years old. I'll definitely be getting more as I absolutely adore them!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verve mount came in today, sort of a pita, but mounted. Pardon the wires, will tighten that up over the weekend. Also, the mount bracket is visible in background, going to drimmel that off so that flange isn't so bulky and gaudy, lol. Decided to run 70% on all blues with a gentle ramp, UV peaking at 60%. Left side adjustments made to peak at 60% blues, and 30% UV. Fairly confident that there is enough light! Halide backed down to 5 hours on. A pic for reference :)

20191107_163558.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! I like using leds to go with halides. I finally got my or2 bars straightened out so I have 96 blue LEDs to go with my two 250w radiums in my 100 gallon Rubbermaid. I was about to go with two led fixtures but couldn’t find any that fit. I would have rather went that way like you did but this is a good second option.
My screen name on RC was piper27 and still is on my local forum if I ever get back on there. The “biggles juice” was pretty good for getting some nice green fluorescent shine on certain corals. Once my tank starts growing well I will probably go with supplementing more manganese and zinc.
I like how you are using live rock in the first chamber. I used a 40 gallon breeder full of it in the same spot and used a carbon source dosed in it to grow bacteria so I didn’t have to worry about jelly mats in funny spots when I was using a lot. Sponges grew amazingly well in there and even with low flow detritus was not bad. I still have some large sponges under my rocks that I kept from that tank, they were so big they stuck rocks together. Are you planning to use a carbon source in this tank? If so what?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back