Pest control with insecticide in the house

cabral.leonardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house will undergo pest control with insecticide. Should I turn off the skimmer (to reduce air diffusion with water), should I turn off circulation or should I do nothing regarding the reef tank?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house will undergo pest control with insecticide. Should I turn off the skimmer (to reduce air diffusion with water), should I turn off circulation or should I do nothing regarding the reef tank?
You could just ask them not to use dust or aresol in the room with the tank. Liquid insecticide will be fine just ask then to stand away from the tank.

I've had to Treat aquarium cabinets for roaches many times. I have never harmed the tank.

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just ask them not to use dust or aresol in the room with the tank. Liquid insecticide will be fine just ask then to stand away from the tank.

I've had to Treat aquarium cabinets for roaches many times. I have never harmed the tank.
Great!! I’ll keep that in mind!! Thank you for the answer!

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As a former pest control tech there is little to no benefit spraying inside the house. Have them apply a barrier outside around doors, windows, holes and the foundation.

That said a product applied on baseboards in the home would be safe. I’d avoid the room with the tank but even then it could be treated around the perimeter of the room no problem.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the house sprayed once a year. I cover the whole tank with a bed sheet, just to make sure there won’t be any accidental splash in it.
There's very little work that needs to be done around tanks. Roaches and and ants is a different story. Gel bait are a tool for these pests. If I have to treat the room with a tank just liquids and not around the tank.

Fleas are a whole different ballgame skimmer turned off ,tank and sump covered.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's very little work that needs to be done around tanks. Roaches and and ants is a different story. Gel bait are a tool for these pests. If I have to treat the room with a tank just liquids and not around the tank.

Fleas are a whole different ballgame skimmer turned off ,tank and sump covered.
I’m spraying for bugs and it’s done on all floor perimeters. The guys know to be careful around the tank but I’d rather be cautious.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m spraying for bugs and it’s done on all floor perimeters. The guys know to be careful around the tank but I’d rather be cautious.
You would think that but not all do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back