Pet fish for kids a good idea?

aquakrishtine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just want to get your ideas on kids and pet fish? I have two nieces 5 and 7. Parents are totally open to the idea of giving them a fish for pet. I'm thinking of giving them a 5-10gal tank but not sure what to stock it with. I had to take a few steps back and think if kids and pet fish are a good idea?

What's your experience with kids and pet fish? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

:smile:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids with freshwater fish + adult supervision. IMO, sounds ok.

But kids with saltwater fish that do not live under the same roof with a knowledgable reefer = disaster. LOL

Get 'em some beta fish. ;)

10galclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if your going to take care of it get a 10 gal salt and add 2 clowns and a bta and watch them going in it. Kids love it

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure they do water changes. :)

I loved having fish as a kid.

OP
OP
A

aquakrishtine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure they do water changes. :)

I loved having fish as a kid.

Auntie will have to visit the nieces more often to check if they take care of it well. Growing up, my dad always made sure we had a goldfish or two at home. As a kid, my only participation was feeding the fish.

OP
OP
A

aquakrishtine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids with freshwater fish + adult supervision. IMO, sounds ok.

But kids with saltwater fish that do not live under the same roof with a knowledgable reefer = disaster. LOL

Get 'em some beta fish. ;)

Haha, yeah. Looks like it will be a betta

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a grandson in 1st grade who just loves the FW tank I set up for him, at my house, lol. Every time he comes over now he wants to help me do something with my reef tank. It is a great way to get kids interested in a hobby that can last them a lifetime. But, it will require some attention from an adult, st least until the kids learn to take care of it on their own.

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here learning about salt because of my 3yr old. His first word was fish and he has been a fish nut since. He has his own beta in a bowl and then there is the occupants of my 10gal aggressive tank that he loves to watch and help me take care of. I think fish as pets is a great idea, just have to have the buy-in from the parents

Norcalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 6 year old niece is one of the harshest people on my tanks lol. She will spot something that is unhappy or point out an algae bloom really quick. She knows a lot of the coral in my tanks and could keep a tank if she wanted to. I think the key is to not underestimate their ability, but also listen to them about what they want. She knows lots, but she dose not like to do water changes on her beta, so she's ok with only having a beta. She says "I'll have a salt water tank when I'm older, but a beta is fine for now".

OP
OP
A

aquakrishtine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! A natural aquarist! My nieces enjoy feeding my fish. It's the first thing they do when they come visit. I dont know what makes them think that I don't ..lol

OP
OP
A

aquakrishtine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! A natural aquarist! My nieces enjoy feeding my fish. It's the first thing they do when they come visit. I dont know what makes them think that I don't ..lol

I have a grandson in 1st grade who just loves the FW tank I set up for him, at my house, lol. Every time he comes over now he wants to help me do something with my reef tank. It is a great way to get kids interested in a hobby that can last them a lifetime. But, it will require some attention from an adult, st least until the kids learn to take care of it on their own.

Aww, that's cute. All that my nieces help me do is feed the fish. :D

RobertsJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think purchasing a fish for a child is a great idea. My son loves his aquarium fish very much. However, any contact with animals at a young age can be dangerous. Therefore, I give my son special vitamins. Fortunately, milk from thebestfromjapan.com/holle-cows-milk-formula-2-baby contains all the ingredients you need. Because my child consumes a quality product, he has never complained about feeling unwell.

Last edited:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea but only if you plan to take care of it otherwise I'd stay away as kids loose interest in new things pretty fast

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish were betta fish and goldfish. Another great option are African dwarf frogs. As long as the parents are cleaning the tanks and making sure everything is healthy, it’ll be fun. ;)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the kids, what their interests are, etc.

I was selling Cichlid fry at about 9 - but I wouldn't have trusted my brother to keep a betta alive till he was about 20. Now he's got a reef tank and is fastidious about it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m young as well and I’ve been fascinated with fish for years! Honestly, it was probably that first fish I had when I was really young and the memories of going to the store and picking out new fish that captivated me into this hobby.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it. Unless the parents are interested in having a tank themselves and doing the care and maintenance- don’t do it. (And most likely, if they were “that interested” they would have set up a tank on their own.) Getting pets for young kids 99.8% of the time falls entirely on the parents to feed and care for and maintain. The kids aren’t old enough and the Parents likely don’t really know what goes into a salt water set up. Even a freshwater tank takes a lot more care than you would imagine. Let parents get pets for their kids themselves if they really want them.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back