petco purple tang rescue action

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe it does, it is to us, a zpack. But i believe it can be found in liquid form.

I would be curious about levaquin but i dont think it can be found in a liquid. Cipro however is just massivley harsh, where as i dont think the fish would have as much chance at an adverse affect with azithromycin
I can't find anything on this antibiotics on Google. @Humblefish have you heard of it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think is safe to say that using cipro is one of the medications to make real sure you are dosing correct. Would that be a fair statement @Humblefish?

You never want to overdose any medication; underdose a little if in doubt. Most anemones seem to handle cipro just fine. Fish are another story.

What about azithromycin? Strengh wise its up there but not as harsh as cipro. I believe. It wouldnonly be speculation from me however
I know it's a macrolide antibiotic; used to treat things like bronchitis, pneumonia, ear/lung/skin/throat infections in dogs & cats. But I have no actual experience using that drug on fish. I will have to look into that though.

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fresh water dip: was 15 minutes. some fish like the copperband butterfly i wont go beyond 10.

salt water dip: 1 hour with 10ml peroxide

if i were to do it again knowing that it was velvet, i would have added 10 ml peroxide to the fresh water dip.

so to be clear: i wouldnt have an issue dosing 10 ml peroxide to a 15 minute fresh water dip nor a 1 hour saltwater dip.

i only demonstrated my confidence in peroxide's use if done in a responsible and knowledgeable manner.

Russ can you clarify peroxide dosing amount...10ml/gal?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ can you clarify peroxide dosing amount...10ml/gal?

10ml - 5 gallon bucket

i did successfully perform a 20 ml dose to 3 gallons of water for 10 minutes.
i would be cautious using this on more sensitive fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciprofloxacin can be pretty harsh on fish IME. But it is active against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.

can you elaborate on "harsh"? i know its pretty strong stuff.

hey. im down for whatever will "work" and appears to be few options on my end.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I sedated the tang with clove oil, brushed that white crap off the mouth area, and irrigated the wound with peroxide.

It was highly experimental but seems to work similarly, albeit not the same as fresh water applications.

i did film the entire process

-insert flaming here....

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done, I must ask this though. From a financial perspective. 2 fish valued at approx 440$ for 20$....how much has been invested in treatment.

Dont take this as me questioning if its worth it to save lives but pure curiosity.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this video is for educational purposes only. Regardless what you would do differently, it DID happen and i couldnt find anything formal on the subject with salt water fish.

Disclaimer: you can euthanize a fish this way. You have been warned.

Some learning lessons i would have done differently. I would have stopped after the 2nd dose. it averaged 2 drops per cup of water. It also takes longer to affect a tang. I am up in the air if "more" was better to get him back in regular water quicker, or to let the oil do it's thing and wait longer for sedation to occur.

recovery time: 1 hour until fully recovered. approximately 4x longer than an amazon puffer.

like i said. This is educational only if someone were in the same position as me, they would have some sort of idea what is in store.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I sedated the tang with clove oil, brushed that white crap off the mouth area, and irrigated the wound with peroxide.

It was highly experimental but seems to work similarly, albeit not the same as fresh water applications.

i did film the entire process

-insert flaming here....

where's this video? what does clove oil do?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done, I must ask this though. From a financial perspective. 2 fish valued at approx 440$ for 20$....how much has been invested in treatment.

Dont take this as me questioning if its worth it to save lives but pure curiosity.

approximately $80 medication so far.

the stress of dealing with an unknown is not where i like to be though.

ich? no problem.
velvet? meh...

this bacterial infection no one can conclude they beat? stressful.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fighting fish disease wears me out menttttall fro worryyyying aout those gs. Good Luck

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you elaborate on "harsh"? i know its pretty strong stuff.

Most fish I've used cipro on stop eating, some never resume. :( I've also encountered heavy breathing, fish laying on their side or gasping for air at the surface of the water while using cipro. Not every fish reacts this way, but I've seen enough of it to stop using cipro as a fish antibiotic.

this bacterial infection no one can conclude they beat? stressful.
I *HATE* bacterial infections. At least with ich, velvet, brook, uronema, flukes, intestinal worms I know what needs to be done. But when dealing with a bacterial infection, you really should take a skin scrape and try to scope ID to match up the correct antibiotic which will successfully target the bacterium the fish is being afflicted by.

How is the PT doing, BTW? Things didn't look too promising based on that last video you posted. :(

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish I've used cipro on stop eating, some never resume. :( I've also encountered heavy breathing, fish laying on their side or gasping for air at the surface of the water while using cipro. Not every fish reacts this way, but I've seen enough of it to stop using cipro as a fish antibiotic.

I *HATE* bacterial infections. At least with ich, velvet, brook, uronema, flukes, intestinal worms I know what needs to be done. But when dealing with a bacterial infection, you really should take a skin scrape and try to scope ID to match up the correct antibiotic which will successfully target the bacterium the fish is being afflicted by.

How is the PT doing, BTW? Things didn't look too promising based on that last video you posted. :(

you tell me ;)

he recovered fully after an hour. tank is cloudy because i JUST changed some of his water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That's one tough FISH! ;) Is the thing around his mouth still there?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That's one tough FISH! ;) Is the thing around his mouth still there?

yeah. but it looks like mouth cartilage. the stuff sloughing off his mouth seems ok but wont know til later.

not exactly sure how to procede. im kind of just winging it here.

how long til they die of this infection?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tang could only take 10 minutes of freshwater and 20 ml peroxide in 2.5 gallons...

i changed a ton of the qt's water. i want to say 95% was changed. 30 gallons

i threw in 1000 mg cipro. 80 mg peroxide. 3ml cupramine.

i let it aerate for an hour before the fish was put back in.

i may not be successful, but i did want to document what i did. i hope others build on this in the future in case i am not successful.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long til they die of this infection?

Well, the Tomini I had with it lasted 3 weeks but since it affected his eating he might have starved to death. I cut away would I could (so he could eat), but then it started growing inside of his mouth. :( The fin rot on your PT looks like its getting worse and it also appears the infection has spread to the body. Is he still in cipro?

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe it does, it is to us, a zpack. But i believe it can be found in liquid form.

I would be curious about levaquin but i dont think it can be found in a liquid. Cipro however is just massivley harsh, where as i dont think the fish would have as much chance at an adverse affect with azithromycin

Azith and lev are both intravenous medications, thus liquid form. FYI

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back