Petco rescue....hate that place.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 20g running as a frag QT tank for a bunch, well let's say I had fun with the WWC auctions and end of year discounts. It's to many to dip at once and drop in the tank so I figured I would setup the 20g, put a rack in it and let the coral sit there while I deal with them. I figured it would run for a few weeks tops.

I built the rack, put the HOB filter on it, some rocks and two power heads to keep water moving. I needed some biospira. I always use this on setting up the temporary tank to kick start some bacteria. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I just do it. Being New year's day my options were limited so I ended up at Petco.

So I am looking at thier tanks. Typical Petco, red cyano, green slime alge and aptasia everywhere. Then I spot this poor little yellow tang. He was so thin and gaunt I just couldn't take looking at him. No alge clip or food for him in the tank at all. So I took him home.

The coral tank was already up and running so I figured I could at least get him fed and healthy and at worse give him to the local salt water fish store I trust.

I have used this same tank for QT of other fish and will keep the water good for him and the coral.

The positive is he started eating immediately when the seaweed clip was put in the tank.

I have a very light load in my main 220g tank and would love to add him there when he is healthy. However, I already have a desjardini sailfin tang which is the same species as the yellow. The desjardini is also about 4x the size.

What would be the best way to introduce him or shod I just not do it at all and send him off when he is good to go?

20180101_164111.jpg 20180101_165522.jpg 20180101_165612.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww. You’re a good person to take in the sick fishie. I would check out compatibility charts (liveaquaria.com) to see if they can co-exist. If not, I’m sure someone would adopt him.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add some type of clear acclimation box that will let the bigger tang get his aggression out on the box instead of the fish. If he doesn’t stop the yellow tang will definitely be a goner

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should nurse him back to health. Really spoil him with food and attention, maybe give him a massage ;)

When the time comes, find him a new home in a large well kept reef tank where he wont be bullied.

Just my 2 cents on the issue!

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weel, I agree that all petco has been good for up to now is cheap tanks. My wife hates them. Lol and was super upset to see the condition of the fish. All but demanded i buy it and bring it home.

I may try the acclimation box when he is back in better health. If not I will find him a good home. I will not put him in harms way if the current tank tang shows signs of not wanting another tank mate.

Thnaks for all the ideas. I will keep you all posted on his progress. So far he is swimming around eating from the clip so that hurdle is over.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would get the yellow tang nice and solid in the tank he's in now( might take 3 months of good feedings)) then throw him in the main display.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the yellow as much smaller as he is, he may be able to slip in under the Desjardini's radar. A social acclimation box or temporary divider would help, as well.

~Bruce
I agree, but it could also go very very badly with a lightly stocked tank and a large established fish of the same genus. I highly recommend the social acclimation box!

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an acclimation box is on the order list. I will get one for when its ready. It does have a healthy appetite. Tossed in a little Rods tonight and he gobbled it all up. Will slowly increase the food so he doesnt overdo it. Cant wait to see him all back to good health.

That Desjardini is gorgeous!

Thanks, I feel the same. He is a super cool character.

owenmck1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I can't stand the way they keep there tanks. My local petco has a yellow tang looking rough, I've been debating picking it up and doing what you are. Great post on it!

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here he is after a few days rest and good amounts of seaweed and Rods food. He is a very active swimmer and seems to prefer to hang out under the egg crate with the rocks. He will venture topside occasionally. I would imagine that once all the coral is in the rack that he may spend more time on top. Right now it's just a baren wasteland of black empty egg crate.

LRM_EXPORT_20180103_202054.jpg LRM_EXPORT_20180103_202004.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back