Petco selling Gem Tangs??

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco near me has no salt.......

15 minutes away the petco has a frag tank and they had about a dozen lightning maroons. I was fairly surprised. If the anemones in the tank with them were any indication I would say their condition was decent

I don't suppose anyone has found a list of their stores, that have an expanded saltwater assortment? Every one that I've called in the Denver area doesn't have the Gems; and the three that I've been to don't have frag tanks, or anything of the sort. I guess I could call them all again, and see if any of them do.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suppose anyone has found a list of their stores, that have an expanded saltwater assortment? Every one that I've called in the Denver area doesn't have the Gems; and the three that I've been to don't have frag tanks, or anything of the sort. I guess I could call them all again, and see if any of them do.

Not sure if the Petcos in your area will but the one that I have in Indiana will order stuff for you.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the Petcos in your area will but the one that I have in Indiana will order stuff for you.

They have in the past, but so far none of them even know what a Gem is, unfortunately... But I seem to get regular employees when I call, guess I always catch them when the aquatics people are off.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait till the person in the fish department quits and they make the new kid take over the systems, lol you'll get it for the price of a regular yellow tang!

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait till the person in the fish department quits and they task the new kid to go over there and handle it, lol you'll get it for the price of a regular tang! haha

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swung by my local petco the other day since there was so much talk about the marine animals there. Previously, there had pretty much just been freshwater and an unholy amount of glow fish.

They have the whole fish section pretty much ripped down and are doing a big renovation. I will let you guys know what all they add. I am sure if they are doing a renovation, it will be something they will roll out to more places eventually.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update my last post I actually needed to go to Petco and took a look at the progress. They have basically moved all the fish into half the tanks, and are doing work on one side of it. They added a bunch of saltwater fish and this is all literally being turned around in just a few days. Some notable fish I did not expect:

Powder Brown Tang
Tomini Tang
Coral Beauty Angel
Platinum Clown
Yellow Tang
Several Anemones (Most Did Not Look Good)
Blue Tang
Black & White Clown

I only expected them to have some damsels, clowns, and maybe chromis.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update my last post I actually needed to go to Petco and took a look at the progress. They have basically moved all the fish into half the tanks, and are doing work on one side of it. They added a bunch of saltwater fish and this is all literally being turned around in just a few days. Some notable fish I did not expect:

Powder Brown Tang
Tomini Tang
Coral Beauty Angel
Platinum Clown
Yellow Tang
Several Anemones (Most Did Not Look Good)
Blue Tang
Black & White Clown

I only expected them to have some damsels, clowns, and maybe chromis.

Interesting... One of the Petcos that I called, the Castle Rock store told me that they had no Gems, but do have a couple of Tominis on hand. Makes me wonder if that's a store that'll be getting an expanded saltwater assortment.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, regular price is 599 but 30% off all fish and coral this month.
I walked in to Petco and saw a radion xr30 on their frag tank with a gem tang swimming around. I was looking around like... is anyone else seeing this!? o_O

Where did you find out about the 30% fish and coral sale all month? My local flyer only has a 3-day sale (4/19-4/21).

xmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the fish from petco even come from another planet and a whole other ocean so they are different and not like the others from the other stores.......

I also heard they use ground up unicorn horns to promote ich....

How many gem tangs do you think all the stores ordered at once.. thats why their cheaper....

Most all the fish are collected by the same people with the proper credentials..

petco does not have somebody picking the ********* fish with ich and sending them only to petco. lol

Last edited:

Cmac474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to Petco when they get the shipments in, you'll see that a lot of their corals come from ORA. I picked up a 4 head ORA purple torch for $39, it was right next to a tiny frag of GSP that was $49 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zackford4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked in to Petco and saw a radion xr30 on their frag tank with a gem tang swimming around. I was looking around like... is anyone else seeing this!? o_O
Your Petco has a frag tank?! All of ours just put shriveled up frags in tanks with no lights

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. My petco is not 30 percent off all month.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your Petco has a frag tank?! All of ours just put shriveled up frags in tanks with no lights

Mine has a frag tank at one end of the saltwater display and probably a 90 or 120 gallon tank with some bigger fish at the other end. They're even pretty good about noting that things like tangs need larger tanks. No XR30 over the frag tank, but they do use some t5s and have tons of coraline. They don't usually have a lot of acros but some of the encrusting corals have encrusted well onto their frag racks.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to Petco when they get the shipments in, you'll see that a lot of their corals come from ORA. I picked up a 4 head ORA purple torch for $39, it was right next to a tiny frag of GSP that was $49 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would be all over this..... heck, maybe I will make another Petco run.... I have some REALLY nice options around me, so I really didn't even glance at the frag tank at Petco, but of course I had never really priced corals either..... now I know that I'm in the market for a Frogspawn (another....) a torch, and a lobophylia....... maybe I'll try to score a nice deal.

Kvnsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your petco is really nice, mine only has clownfish and damsels lol..

Brian_in_Kansas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up Petco subsidiaries and did not see anything with the initials D.D. They closed Dr's Foster & Smith this year, not sure how long they owned it.

This the list according to the SEC:

PETCO ANIMAL SUPPLIES, INC.

SUBSIDIARIES

Name

Jurisdiction of Organization

PETCO Animal Supplies Stores, Inc.

Delaware International Pet Supplies and Distribution, Inc. California
PETCO Southwest, Inc. California
Pet Concepts International California
PM Management Incorporated California
PETCO Southwest, L.P. California
E-Pet Services California
E-Pet Services, LLC Virgnia
17187 Yukon Inc. Canada

AquaHobby31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about trusting any fish that has been in Petco tanks. It’s just sad walking into their stores. They have such potential

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%

Back