Petco selling Gem Tangs??

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price on gem tangs has come down significantly in recent years. When they first appeared in the trade, retail was $5K. Stabilized at around $2K, with all fish collected by one family business in Mauritius. More recently collection has expanded both on Mauritius and Madagascar. Logistics means it will always be expensive, but routinely now below $1K.

ENVY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the 3 Petcos near my house is really really good at taking care of all aquatics especially saltwater the other 2 locations the employees just don’t care.
The good news is the good petco is having a huge saltwater only sale Easter weekend they are not advertising it but the aquatic guy gave me the heads up
Not much a secret. It's in their advertisement flyer. Petco is having 30% off all marine life on 4/19 to 4/21.

Heads up to people who might want to scoop up one of these gems

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.. half the Petcos around here don't even have marine fish... I would love one, but I'd be afraid my purple would kill it & I'd be out $500.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys now I'm going to have to make a 70mile round trip to my local Petco....

Thankfully I don't have a wife!!!
But I will need to take cash and leave my cards at home though otherwise I might come home broke. :D:D:D

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our petco is pretty decent for what they’re given. With those setups it’d be tough to sterilize and keep things separate but they’re on par with many of our LFS systems. Petco will even mark a tank under observation, not for sale when they’ve got a sick fish. I’ve seen visibly sick fish at local shops that they’d sell without a thought. I have bought from Petco and would have bought the gem had my wife given the go ahead. I would have QT’d it for sure and I’m sure there are bad petco’s out there but mine at least tries.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back home from going to my local Petco and the 20 something guy cleaning the tanks was telling me about their 30% off and if there was a fish that I wanted to call them and have it ordered by this Friday and pick it up next Friday for the 30% off.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of the last three weeks they've had the same bigger yellow tang there and I'm always observing it and I still yet have to see ich on it. I'm pretty confident that it's the same one unless they all have the exact same spot on its Top Fin.

20190408_111607.jpg

mikenestle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was in my local Petco I couldn't believe how nice their tanks looked. I actually think if they start carrying more expensive fish they will do a better job spending money to care for them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back