Petco selling Gem Tangs??

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know about trusting any fish that has been in Petco tanks. It’s just sad walking into their stores. They have such potential

I have fish in my tanks from Petco. I did quarantine them and used copper but would buy again. If that gem had been there and the 30% off was going on I’d have bought it and asked my wife for forgiveness. Mine currently has a nice purple tang for $99 (before 30%off) a decent sized captive bread clown trigger, and a couple of the small biota captive bred yellow tangs. The main person that seems to run the aquatics section seems good. They don’t have the best setup but that’s not the employees fault.

There are a couple Petco’s in the area I would not buy from but the one closest is alright and better in some ways than some of the local shops. Not all but a few.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my local Petco selling a Gem Tang for $420 and why won't my wife let me buy it.
I’m sorry but I’m really laughing out loud. She won’t let you buy it. Tell her you can nurse it to good health and resell it.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I seen 2 for 900 in NY yesterday crazy right? Believe it or not they were actually healthy, thankfully the shops system looked decent so maybe I'll get myself one. The manager told me corporate has an insane abundance of them, "so many" they aloud them to negotiate prices.
Why is my local Petco selling a Gem Tang for $420 and why won't my wife let me buy it.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I first saw the title of the thread, my first thought was to ask whether you're sure it's a gem tang. but seeing the other posts, I guess it is.

In that regard, I thought I saw a black tang at our local Petco and asked the kid what it was. He didn't know, but looked at the list of tangs they had and said he'd give it to me for the cost of the scopas they had. Thinking I had made a steal, I bought it and brought it home........ only to watch it lighten up significantly and go from being a dirt-cheap black tang to a run-of-the-mill scopas tang that I got for exactly what the tag said it should cost...... sigh!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my local Petco to see if I could spot one of these elusive gem tangs and I have a pretty decent Petco maybe not the best but better than I’ve seen. No gem tangs but they did have about 5 ORA Joe the coral acro’s. Weird I never thought I would see in Acropora in petco, it was only 19.99 to boot. It had pretty good polyp extension hard to tell the coloration with the crappy lights they have

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just at Petco in Brookfield Ct...
B9D6F484-63F4-4E2C-844C-2DA186C74E62.jpeg

6CBFDE6E-8BE6-41F4-9831-403D2A030C9C.jpeg

Eating like a pig!
30% off!!
Darn thing followed me home!!!

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just at Petco in Brookfield Ct...
B9D6F484-63F4-4E2C-844C-2DA186C74E62.jpeg

6CBFDE6E-8BE6-41F4-9831-403D2A030C9C.jpeg

Eating like a pig!
30% off!!
Darn thing followed me home!!!

That's gorgeous, congrats! I finally figured out where I may have a chance of getting one... I was at a Petco last night, and they told me that one of the stores in Colorado Springs is a "fish magnet location," and has an expanded assortment, as well as a frag tank. It seems that the stores with those are the ones that have Gems. I'll have to drive down there and see, it's an hour and a half drive south for me. I'm surprised they don't have a store like that in the Denver Metro area, not that I've been able to find at least; I wish Petco would list those separately on their store locator.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a Petco last night, and they told me that one of the stores in Colorado Springs is a "fish magnet location," and has an expanded assortment, as well as a frag tank. It seems that the stores with those are the ones that have Gems. I'll have to drive down there and see, it's an hour and a half drive south for me...
That’s just what the manager told me today... why not call before driving all the way there?

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just what the manager told me today... why not call before driving all the way there?

Because it's an excuse to go rip the Corvette down the highway. ;Woot

lol

Even if they don't have the tang, I'm curious to see what one of these expanded assortments looks like.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store that I was at, not only had way more fish, than my local Petco... but every fish that I checked the price of, was WAY cheaper than LA prices!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back