Petco VS Petsmart

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for aquarium stuff, neither. I go to local fish stores that specialize in aquatics. Petsmart doesnt even sell saltwater stuff at all, and most petcos saltwater sections are terrible.

I get all my cats food and litter from Petsmart though as its super close to our house.
If your getting stuff for cats/dogs, both are essentially the same.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetCo all the way if you have to pick one. I don’t really have a good lfs close, but the one of the two PetCo has a very good aquarium section manager.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constantly get the two confused.

I had to double check which one I have by me after reading PetSmart doesn't have saltwater fish. Apparently it's a Petco.

That said, at Petco I don't even bother looking at the prices on the shelf. I look them up on my phone because the shelf is almost always higher, sometimes by 15-20%, (once it was 50%) and they honor their online prices if you show it to them.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constantly get the two confused.

I had to double check which one I have by me after reading PetSmart doesn't have saltwater fish. Apparently it's a Petco.

That said, at Petco I don't even bother looking at the prices on the shelf. I look them up on my phone because the shelf is almost always higher, sometimes by 15-20%, (once it was 50%) and they honor their online prices if you show it to them.
They do that on purpose, as do a lot of retail stores. It's basically bait and switch, but not enforcible because they'll honor the price. They're just banking on you not checking the online advertised price before hand. On the rare occasion I go there, it takes 20 mins for me to check out, because every item is price matched, lol.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Petco was good and they even carry all for reef and a number of good products if I need something in a pinch. However I went a few days ago and…

Attachments

• 24936D6F-D764-4556-AE3F-3ECD2AC8F5B2.jpeg
    24936D6F-D764-4556-AE3F-3ECD2AC8F5B2.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 40

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish that I've bought at Petco has died within hours or days, and my Petco isn't even one of the "bad" ones.

I only buy dry goods there in emergency situations, like a failed heater, where I cannot wait a day or two for shipping. I feel the same way about PetSmart.

That being said, I bought both of my clowns there when I started out, and I'm pretty sure they're immortal based on everything they've survived so far.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco near me (central fl) actually has a pretty awesome fresh and saltwater selection both dry goods and fish. I bought three .5” long African cichlid fry from there that turned out to be 3 high quality, pretty highly sought after cichlids that am really glad to have in my tank. Never bought any saltwater critters from them but I’ve seen some really nice clown morphs, multiple different kinds of tangs and angles and some really nice BTA’s… and tbh wouldn’t hesitate to buy fish from them again once I start stocking my reef

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me their aquatics manage left a few months ago and they haven’t been able to find anyone experienced in saltwater, and “lately they have been having bad luck with saltwater and no expert”. So this particular store is considering going fw only if they can’t hire someone qualified

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me their aquatics manage left a few months ago and they haven’t been able to find anyone experienced in saltwater, and “lately they have been having bad luck with saltwater and no expert”. So this particular store is considering going fw only if they can’t hire someone qualified
At least they are honest. And not trying to continue to murder fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back