PH calibration fluid fell into sump, help!

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I swear, things like this only happen to me lol. I was calibrating my PH probe for my apex. I had the solution package open, sitting in a glass so I wouldn't knock it over. My 2yr old decides he wanted to knock it over. So I was able to grab it and keep about half of it out of the tank but some definitely went in. How screwed am I? Running carbon now but I don't have gfo..
Ingredients in the pic

PXL_20201022_015942243.jpg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what will happen. I would do a large water change ASAP just in case.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but I would do the 50g then Get the ro ready in case things start to looking unhappy. I’m more of a better safe then sorry guy.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't really tell you not to do a water change, but honestly I probably wouldn't. It shouldn't hurt anything. The carbon should pull out the dye. Regarding the phosphate, if you have an ats, you could turn it up. If you have a skimmer you could skim a little wetter and carbon dose.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go nuts changing water, just run a phosphate test. There's likely not enough in that packet to move it much at all. Dye and preservative are going to be even lower in concentration.

Carbon, phosphate check, and then water change if required, (doubtful)

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a large tank you are fine. There is nothing in the packet that would do harm to even a much smaller tank - I am commenting since I have managed TWICE to drop an entire packet into the sump of my 50 gallon system and all was fine, there was no change in any managed parameter, the amount of buffer in a pack is miniscule. If you do want to do a 50 gallon water change it is beneficial even if you didn’t have the accident. I was too lazy both times to do any water change after fishing out the empty pack.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok thanks everyone!
In such a large tank you are fine. There is nothing in the packet that would do harm to even a much smaller tank - I am commenting since I have managed TWICE to drop an entire packet into the sump of my 50 gallon system and all was fine, there was no change in any managed parameter, the amount of buffer in a pack is miniscule. If you do want to do a 50 gallon water change it is beneficial even if you didn’t have the accident. I was too lazy both times to do any water change after fishing out the empty pack.
OK, wow, thanks so much! I will hold tight and see how she goes. Phosphate is at 0.27.

Now I sort of need to hear how you did this twice, lol!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank goodness its ounces, and very little impact. If you’re using carbon, youre good to go. If not- add some

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set in the sump to come to temperature, then snip the corner and set it upright on the corner of the sump leaning against the protein skimmer. Next,I pullcause the electrode out of the holder, bumping the skimmer the skimmer which causes the packet to drop into the water. I need to modify a couple of steps....

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back