pH problems

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now that I have a little more time,
There are several reasons why pH might be chronically low (7.7 to 7.9) in an aquarium. The tank could be in a room with poor air ventilation, causing C02 in the space to build up and lower the pH (C02 in the room is dissolved into the tank’s water). Carbon dioxide impacts pH because it rapidly turns into carbonic acid when it enters the water. Acids lower pH, so more carbon dioxide means more carbonic acid, which means lower pH
Alk will work but via a reactor to increase Ph.
About 4 years ago before getting a CA reactor, I used a BRS C02 scrubber which has C02 absorbing media inside that will raise pH having a tube that attaches to the air intake of a skimmer and will remove C02 before it enters the skimmer.
Also the use of Chaeto in a fuge area will quickly consume excess carbon dioxide from the water thereby reducing carbonic acid in water and raising the pH to desired level.

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is
That's a very useful program.
I agree, I never thought it was an aeration issue. I have a big house and only 2 humans living in it. We always have doors and windows open.
But if 3 different items are reading the same pH and i had a massive Die off.. then what could it be? this is why I'm at a loss. Normally I wouldnt stress over pH, but this is the only abnormal parameter I have.
Issues with bad salts have been surfacing lately. Also if your using something to lower phosphates that can sometimes negetive impact on ph and strip the good things out of the water column. Could be odd issues with carbon or something toxic in the water not getting filtered out but hard to believe 7.7ph would have that big of an impact.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your in home air is in normal CO2 ranges and your tank is well aerated, almost any reading below 7.8 is an error.

Let's use a higher level of CO2, say 1000ppm. Your pH with an 8dKH alk would be 7.9 NBS.

SmartSelect_20220201-194702_Pydroid 3.jpg
Is that the python program that calculates expected CO2 ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things you could try. First, I'd try running both your wavemakers at the same time (randomize the flow, have them run in opposite directions, etc.) Second, I'd skip Stability and Prime for the next few water changes (whenever I use Prime I can immediately see changes in pH and ORP, and probably other parameters as well).

Third, ditch the API kits and pH strips in favor of something like the Hanna kits. It's a bit of an investment upfront but will pay dividends over time with more accurate test results. Start with the pH and alkalinity testers and go from there.

Your nitrates and phosphates are a little on the high side, and this is something I'd probably work on bringing down gradually (<15ppm nitrates, <0.1 phosphates). I didn't see a protein skimmer, so that's something that you could potentially benefit from as well.

Before disturbing the sand bed I'd get this issue resolved first (whatever you inadvertently stir up will have an impact on your other efforts).

I change my sock filters and empty out my protein skimmer every 3-4 days, and I can't help but think that a 3-4 week period between cleaning and emptying out your canister filter may be a controbuting factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gfeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things you could try. First, I'd try running both your wavemakers at the same time (randomize the flow, have them run in opposite directions, etc.) Second, I'd skip Stability and Prime for the next few water changes (whenever I use Prime I can immediately see changes in pH and ORP, and probably other parameters as well).

Third, ditch the API kits and pH strips in favor of something like the Hanna kits. It's a bit of an investment upfront but will pay dividends over time with more accurate test results. Start with the pH and alkalinity testers and go from there.

Your nitrates and phosphates are a little on the high side, and this is something I'd probably work on bringing down gradually (<15ppm nitrates, <0.1 phosphates). I didn't see a protein skimmer, so that's something that you could potentially benefit from as well.

Before disturbing the sand bed I'd get this issue resolved first (whatever you inadvertently stir up will have an impact on your other efforts).

I change my sock filters and empty out my protein skimmer every 3-4 days, and I can't help but think that a 3-4 week period between cleaning and emptying out your canister filter may be a controbuting factor.
My pH has since slowly recovered. We are now in the 7.9-8.1 range. I called the Neptune people and we recalibrated my probe a couple weeks ago and agreed that my readings were in fact correct when it dropped to 7.7 over night. Still not sure why though.

I have again and again cross checked with my external pH probe (honestly much more reliable than Hannah- Apera instrument’s which is the chemist grade model I do not use API for pH. I don’t think I even have those chemicals) and it was also reading consistent with Neptune.

I’ve just kept hands off the tank for a couple weeks. Small water changes here and there but nothing crazy and pH has since recovered.

As for protein skimmer, I haven’t got one because I honestly don’t have space for it. I was unable to get a sump because the only tank I could get for recess in the wall we had was tempered glass, so I’m stuck with canister filter system and no sump. So that would limit me to hanging back skimmer which I have read is controversial in how well they work for the tank size I have. But trust me, I have thought about it. If anyone has experience with hanging back ones I’m open to being educated.

I agree that the pH is not the main issue, but it a symptom of some other problem. Not sure if I will ever know.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back