pH toooooo low!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was. I originally started with API, thwn bought a Salifert...same thing. Had a friend come over with his higher end test kit and got a slightly higher reading.
I don't believe that reading is even possible in a reef tank without a constant acid source. :confused:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you calibrated the new probe, did you retest it in the calibration fluids when you were done to verify they were correct?

Anc can you post the calibration numbers for the new probe?

Yes, I did and they were.
I picked up brand new calibration fluids with the new probe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did and they were.
I picked up brand new calibration fluids with the new probe.
Those numbers look good to me. I'd be curious what the outside sample would read now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was. I originally started with API, then bought a Salifert...same thing. Had a friend come over with his higher end test kit and got a slightly higher reading, but that was later in the day than my testing.

I think there is some misunderstanding or mistake.

I agree that isn't possible in a reef tank that has any calcium carbonate rock or sand in it (it would dissolve), or really in any aerated water that has NSW or higher alkalinity.

Ignoring the rock and sand issue, to get the pH that low in seawater would require that the CO2 level be 80 times as high as normal outside air, which is dangerous to your health and I expect you'd be gagging in that room air.

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is some misunderstanding or mistake.

I agree that isn't possible in a reef tank that has any calcium carbonate rock or sand in it (it would dissolve), or really in any aerated water that has NSW or higher alkalinity.

Ignoring the rock and sand issue, to get the pH that low in seawater would require that the CO2 level be 80 times as high as normal outside air, which is dangerous to your health and I expect you'd be gagging in that room air.
Everyone was stumped. I brought water to my LFS probably a dozen times to check it and they were all stumped. Couldn't get my alk over 7 either. I don't run a doser, but tried Kalkwasser, but I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of swing in either Ph or Alk. The only thing I could figure is that because there is virtually no space under my tank (93 cube) there was just no air circulating. For the longest time, I couldn't get a reading on nitrates, or phosphates, but I obviously had some. Certain corals were doing great, others not so much. I was cleaning my glass every 2-4 days of algae so I know I had phosphates. The up side is that since I've been opening the doors, things have been much better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone was stumped. I brought water to my LFS probably a dozen times to check it and they were all stumped. Couldn't get my alk over 7 either. I don't run a doser, but tried Kalkwasser, but I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of swing in either Ph or Alk. The only thing I could figure is that because there is virtually no space under my tank (93 cube) there was just no air circulating. For the longest time, I couldn't get a reading on nitrates, or phosphates, but I obviously had some. Certain corals were doing great, others not so much. I was cleaning my glass every 2-4 days of algae so I know I had phosphates. The up side is that since I've been opening the doors, things have been much better.

I have to say I don't believe it could possibly be 6.3, but in any case, I'd do the aeration test to see what happens in such a situation to see how bad your indoor air is:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I don't believe it could possibly be 6.3, but in any case, I'd do the aeration test to see what happens in such a situation to see how bad your indoor air is:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.
I'll try this, now may be the perfect time of year to do it, before it gets too hot. We do tend to keep our house pretty closed up, but never felt like there was any quality problems in the house. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try this, now may be the perfect time of year to do it, before it gets too hot. We do tend to keep our house pretty closed up, but never felt like there was any quality problems in the house. Thanks.

If you do, let us know what you find. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.82 after circulating outside for an hour and a half at 66 degrees.

Seems low. :D

How did you circulate it? How much volume?

I suggest folks hammer it with an airstone in a cup.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can try the air stone later. Was just using a small pump in about 1 cup of water. Looked like the surface of my display tank. Lots of water movement but not real turbulent.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was. I originally started with API, then bought a Salifert...same thing. Had a friend come over with his higher end test kit and got a slightly higher reading, but that was later in the day than my testing.
At 6.3 in the main display, you'd think your corals would be melting :confused:

My cal reactors media melting point, averages out to be 7.17 :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, I aerated the heck out of it for a couple hours outside. Looked like my skimmer with all the bubbles/foam on top. lol
Cup pH is 8.14
Current tank pH is 7.75

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I aerated the heck out of it for a couple hours outside. Looked like my skimmer with all the bubbles/foam on top. lol
Cup pH is 8.14
Current tank pH is 7.75
Dennis,
Where are you going from here?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cup pH is 8.14
Current tank pH is 7.75

That's seems pretty normal for inside and outside aeration, with high CO2 inside. :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis,
Where are you going from here?
I have a brs c02 scrubber on its way. Might be here today. I'm still not convinced this will help all that much when it's only making contact with whatever air the skimmer is able to take in.
I wish there was something the water filtered through that could pull out excess c02.

Can also try running the airstone in the sump over night.
But probably only worth it if its pulling outside air

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me get it up! ;)
Seriously.... it's 7.57 right now.
Been running my fuge light 24/7. My Calcium Reactor is single chamber and internal pH is kept at around 6.8 with a steady flow of effluent.
I could probably manage to get a line of fresh air run to the sump but it's going to take some work.
Could also add a second chamber to the CaRx.
I don't want to do either unless I know it would make a substantial difference.
Any other suggestions?

i-NxCwMFr-L.jpg

I have the same exact issue with running a calcium reactor. I do 3 things to mitigate the issue. 1)Adding a small second chamber with a very fine media to run off co2 noticeably elevated my ph in the tank. Cleaning the media inside of the Reactor also helps a lot. 2) I run a tube from outside into my skimmer, however, I did not see a huge increase in the Ph because of that. 3) What really skyrocketed my ph and took me out of that super low ph zone (8.0-7.7) is using a small one-speed masterflex pump, could be picked up on ebay for $17-25, (the head might be expensive) its blue with about 12 rpm, I run it only at night for 30 minutes each hour. This way it matches my daily evaporation rate. ( you see the days I run out of kalkwasser my ph drops significantly)
IMG_5570.PNG

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact issue with running a calcium reactor. I do 3 things to mitigate the issue. 1)Adding a small second chamber with a very fine media to run off co2 noticeably elevated my ph in the tank. Cleaning the media inside of the Reactor also helps a lot. 2) I run a tube from outside into my skimmer, however, I did not see a huge increase in the Ph because of that. 3) What really skyrocketed my ph and took me out of that super low ph zone (8.0-7.7) is using a small one-speed masterflex pump, could be picked up on ebay for $17-25, (the head might be expensive) its blue with about 12 rpm, I run it only at night for 30 minutes each hour. This way it matches my daily evaporation rate. ( you see the days I run out of kalkwasser my ph drops significantly)
IMG_5570.PNG
What do you use the masterflex for?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back