pH toooooo low!

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by d2mini, Feb 5, 2018.

1. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

M,
    I almost bought the Abyzz A100 DC, but I got a GEO cal reactor instead.

Talked to Klaus at Royal Exclusiv and they have new DC's in the works, and they are beta testing them, right now.

Freddie

Want2BS8ed likes this.

2. bubbaque

bubbaque Never enough SPS R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Dennis, watch the temp of the cup. Temp will affect the ph reading also

d2mini, Want2BS8ed and GoVols like this.
  3. Want2BS8ed

Want2BS8ed Active Member R2R Supporter

Hear that! Gotta do what you gotta do... good to hear Royal is working on some new DC pumps. Hopefully the competition at the top end of the market will bring prices down.

Meanwhile, the replumb on the skimmer intake is done. Hopefully the picture below makes sense.

It will take about 3 weeks to see if it made an appreciable difference in the life of the media, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

M
    [​IMG]

d2mini and GoVols like this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm still baffled by this. It just isn't making sense in my pea brain. Its almost like it isn't a pH sensor plugged into the pH port. :confused:

GoVols likes this.
  5. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks great!!!

6. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

UPDATE:
    The cup was outside this morning with a small pump circulating the water from 8am to 12 noon.
    Temps were about 67-68 when I took it inside and shoved the pH probe in there.
    The pH topped out at 7.85

I put the cup back outside and will retry later this evening.

Anyone know what kind of effect the 10 degree difference in water would have had?
    Still seems pretty low to me though.

7. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

The temp compensation would be less than 0.1.

You have a pH probe issue.

Edit: Actually, before I put my foot in my mouth with a statement like that... what is the alkalinity of the sample?

GoVols, Want2BS8ed and d2mini like this.
  8. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

The temp effect on measured pH is complicated and is actually caused by different things.

The probe itself varies in its output as a function of temp, and the effect is zero at pH 7.000 and gets larger the farther you are from pH 7. Essentially, the slope of the mv vs pH response changes.

here's a calculator for that part of the effect:

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/PhTempCorrection.php

A second effect has to do with how the pH changes the pKa of the main buffers in the solution. In seawater, bicarbonate is the main acid present in the buffer system, and it is a stronger acid as the temp is raised. It's pKa goes from 6.1 at 0 deg C in seawater to 5.7 at 40 deg C in seawater. That pH shift will tend to reduce pH (a measure of H+) as the temp is raised because more HCO3- will ionize to H+ and CO3--. This is part of the reason why there is more precipitation on warm heaters and pump impellers: because carbonate is locally higher than at cooler temps.

9. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

When i took it out of the tank this morning, it was 8.5 dkh

GoVols likes this.
  10. Brew12

Show off! :p

I'll stick with the less than 0.1 ;)
    Yup.. pH probe issue.

GoVols, Potatohead and Want2BS8ed like this.
  11. Potatohead

Potatohead Well-Known Member

Just buy a new probe already lol. You're going to need it eventually anyway.

d2mini likes this.
  12. Brew12

You use Profilux, right? Is the pH probe you used the one with your Profilux system?
    And it calibrates ok?

13. Want2BS8ed

durn... you had me when you said it was 68 degrees this morning!

14. Brew12

If it is Profilux, take a look at your pH calibration data. Here is mind from myGhL. Your numbers should be fairly similar.
    upload_2018-2-9_13-20-58.png

GoVols and Potatohead like this.
  15. d2mini

This weekend!

Yes, the Profilux seems to calibrate it ok. But this is not an original probe. I think this one was a BRS probe.
    Probably a year old this month if it is the one i bought from them.

It was 54 at 5am and headed to 72 today!
    But back to a high of 42 this sunday. ;Nailbiting
    I've been miserable all winter.

Want2BS8ed, GoVols and Brew12 like this.
  16. d2mini

Huh... never paid attention to that before.
    Mine are...

GoVols likes this.
  17. GoVols

Heck,
    We're at 65 degrees in Nashville today, and our town home's windows are up.

[​IMG]

:)

Want2BS8ed, Brew12 and d2mini like this.
  18. Want2BS8ed

Need to make a quick correction, the McMaster-Carr valve (part #5489T493 w/ 3/8" quick connects) is 24v, not 120v as originally stated.

It's hooked to and controlled through the 24v accessory outlets on Neptune's Apex EB832 energy bar.

Sorry if that caused any confusion.

M

GoVols likes this.
  19. Brew12

That actually looks pretty good as far as spread goes. If you ran with my calibration data your pH would look good! :p

I just don't understand why your calibrates to a proper ranged spread but reads so low. When you finished calibrating it, did you retest it in the solutions?

GoVols and d2mini like this.
  20. d2mini

No, I did not.

GoVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted