PH won't go up, stays at 7.6-7.8

Unorthodox_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
willb e stable. if nitrate is
Just to clarify, when nitrate is increasing from the nitrogen cycle, alkalinity is depleted and that lowers pH. If nitrate is stable, alkalintiya nd pH relted to it willb e stable. if nitrate is declining (beign consumed) alkalintiy is added and pH is boosted.

When organics are being degraded to CO2, CO2 is being produced, lowering pH. Thus, I consider that a CO2 problem, not necessarily an organic problem, but perhaps that's a semantic difference.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop measuring iron. Kits cannot detect low enough levels to be useful, unless you overdose it,.
What
That's interesting. I added one a few weeks ago since winter is a time when I struggle to keep ph up and I can't run a line outside. Before adding the scrubber my ph would be around 7.9-8 on days when I had to keep the windows closed (winter & hot summer days with the AC on) but would increase to 8.1 on days when I could open the windows.

I added the scrubber on a day when the windows were closed so I could get an idea of the bump I might see in winter and within 2 hours it went from 8 to 8.2 and by that evening was at 8.3. On days when I can open the windows it almost reaches 8.4.

We have lots of plants too and I thought those might help but did not see that they affected tank ph in any way. The only thing that's helped is that brs scrubber and media. I'm not sure about media consumption yet but if I have to spend $5 a month for half of the year I'm ok with it.

Not sure why you didn't see any benefit from adding one. The only things that come to mind are whether you have the intake tube hooked to the correct end. I know it sounds stupid but we've all done it so you might want to double check and make sure it's connected to the one marked 'in'. Also, is it possible that the canister is not tight enough or the tubing is leaking at some point (I had a pinhole in mine that took a while to locate) ? One way to see if you have any vacuum when connecting the tubing to your skimmer would be to look at the skimmer water/bubble level when you plug in the tubing. It should fluctuate a little bit since you're essentially restricting the air input a little. The only other suggestion I have would be to check the water in the bottom of the canister. I think they say to add a teaspoon although I'm not sure what function it provides since they also say to make sure the media does not get wet.
I wish I saw an increase I have the co2 media in a reactor with the intake hooked up on the middle section with the tube that goes to the bottom. I dont have any water in the bottom I didnt know u were supposed to put a teaspoon of tank or ro water idk?

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrogen cycle acids forming from organics breaking down in water column.

I dealt with low pH for years and after reading over one of your articles in Reef Keeping Magazine “Low pH: Causes and Cures” http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/
Section: Low pH and Causes: #5
I found the info about the nitrogen cycle creating acids, which turns to CO2. Apparently I was over feeding; after cleaning up around the rocks, turkey baster-ing the holes I could reach, replacing the filter socks and/or felt pad(s) more frequently, and cutting back a lot on feedings, and type of foods, I saw a great improvement on pH levels.

Seemed fitting since the CO2 scrubber had little to no effect. Did I interpret that information wrongly?
Holy ****! Thankyou. I am overfeeding I do it all the time. I'll cut back a tad and work on getting the xtra food out before it dissolves like a rollermat,been wanting one but haven't found a reason good enough to justify until now. I will pursue this Thanks again

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What

I wish I saw an increase I have the co2 media in a reactor with the intake hooked up on the middle section with the tube that goes to the bottom. I dont have any water in the bottom I didnt know u were supposed to put a teaspoon of tank or ro water idk?
Ro water. And I think it’s to keep moisture inside canister because the moisture helps keep the media last longer. I guess when it’s dry it goes bad faster

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy ****! Thankyou. I am overfeeding I do it all the time. I'll cut back a tad and work on getting the xtra food out before it dissolves like a rollermat,been wanting one but haven't found a reason good enough to justify until now. I will pursue this Thanks again

I think this is unlikely to help in most cases.

The article above details how to deal with low pH. This is not the best way.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Bubble Magus if you have room for it, they were a good bit cheaper when I bought mine. There was three different sizes at the time. Little bit of a pain to fit in the trigger sumps like I have but worked well once in. I dont think they are one of the MAP priced brands so you may can wait for a sale too! I got one for each tank when Premium Aquatics was having a sale. However I discontinued use on my main tank, may not have been the issue, but I was starting to struggle with keeping NO3 and PO4 at detectable levels even when I upped the feedings I had to add Neophos to keep PO4 up.
The article I referenced above is a great help. I’ve looked at it so many time over the years the digital document even has wrinkles! Hahahaha!

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just assumed you had the BRS scrubber so the teaspoon of water may not apply but it sounds like you have a different scrubber. Maybe post a photo of it in case someone else is familiar with the model you have and could offer some help.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, could your alkalinity test be way off? Had a similar problem and that was the cause. API said my KH was 12 DKH, it was actually 6 DKH.

Something to consider. Though alk and ph are not the same.

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, could your alkalinity test be way off? Had a similar problem and that was the cause. API said my KH was 12 DKH, it was actually 6 DKH.

Something to consider. Though alk and ph are not the same.
I got all hands testers except for phosphate. They're right I check em against salifert or api if theres ever a doubt.

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is unlikely to help in most cases.

The article above details how to deal with low pH. This is not the best way.
Yea yea I'll check it out thx. The document though I'll save for if I hit a wall thx or get some free time. I think my co2 media is trash its purple like a quarter of the way down the reactor, sux it's only been 2weeks. Supposed to last 6weeks. It's that 2 little fishies brand stuff cdx ordered some other media today. We'll see if that works

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but could somthing in your house be causing high co2 for instance a gas heater or water heater vent to the outside be leaking or the heat exchanger inside the gas heater for house be cracked my heat exchanger long ago had this problem leading to high levels of carbon inside the house which then in turn lead to high levels of co2 inside my tank causing low ph just a thought (save my family's life that tank trubble as the heater was gassing us and if it got to much worse would of killed us)

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes I know its carbon menoxid but since our air was full of carbon tank had truble getting rid of any more carbon in the air as it was already bound

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the input ppl much appreciated
Stupid question but could somthing in your house be causing high co2 for instance a gas heater or water heater vent to the outside be leaking or the heat exchanger inside the gas heater for house be cracked my heat exchanger long ago had this problem leading to high levels of carbon inside the house which then in turn lead to high levels of co2 inside my tank causing low ph just a thought (save my family's life that tank trubble as the heater was gassing us and if it got to much worse would of killed us)
Wow! Good idea.I never thought of that. Funny u say it I just started running heaters too.....oh **** I'll check things out around the house thx

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back