Phillips CoralCare V2; 2020 US release

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do we have MAP yet, or general availability timeline?
I believe we'll know US pricing next week, but don't hold me to it. September is a safe bet for a US release, but personally I think it will be a lot sooner. We'll know more very soon. It's crazy the impact the Coronavirus has had. We thought they would be hanging over reef tanks in the US by now.

The factory location where the lights are built is beginning to operate at capacity after a hiatus from stay-at-home mandates. But the CoralCare isn't the only Philips product manufactured at that facility. They also have to launch the lights in Europe first.

The CoralCare has its own business development team at Philips/Signify. We've met with them every Thursday since March 12. The CoralCare team requested the Gen2 be a priority production. Bear in mind Philips/Signify is a 100+ year old company and the global leader in LED solutions, systems, and services. As you might imagine, CoralVue is not privvy to the company's broader priorities or anything else outside the scope of the CoralCare and its patents.

I would give the CoralCare team an A+ at keeping us apprised of what's going on. Some weeks we communicate daily. I've been impressed by their intelligence and professionalism since the first meeting. It's been an honor to work with and learn from them.

I believe we're about to make history. Certainly as far as the reef aquarium industry/hobby is concerned. But I think there are bigger implications.

For example, there is a pharmaceutical company in France growing corals that Philips works with. The samples they take from the corals are used to develop cancer treatments.

Since the light is UL Listed and IP65-rated, the Gen2 (like the Gen1 before it in Europe) can actually be used by zoos, public aquariums, museums, etc. Funding for these types of institutions is always limited, yet they play an important role in educating the public about the life on our planet and how important it is to protect it.

Saving money on energy and bulb replacements while reducing waste is a win for everyone. The fact that the CoralCare Gen1 was scientifically proven by an independent research firm to grow corals equal to T5 with better coloration should help make the decision to change (where applicable) a no-brainer.

I asked our main contact at Philips the first time we met if I could talk to the researcher of the report I linked to above. I was given the impression he was a busy man and I should not disturb him. Philips didn't even supply me with his contact information to try! But I was determined to talk to this dude. I wanted to verify he was legit and that his discoveries are factual.

So I conducted my own research of the researcher. Conclusion: He is real and totally legit. I even tracked down an email address for him. But I second-guessed my instincts and didn't contact him for a couple of weeks. I didn't want to betray the trust of an important new business partner by ignoring their wishes. While I have a journalistic background, I am not a journalist. I feared he would think my contacting him to substantiate claims we will make in our marketing would be seen as intrusive. I imagined him sneering at his monitor, furiously pounding his keyboard. "How did you get my email address?!" he would demand.

Fate intervened in the form of @Dana Riddle. Which is interesting because I don't know Dana. I mean, not personally. We've never met in real life. But I know who is. I'd read his articles on Advanced Aquarist for over a decade. The only time we'd ever spoken was one year ago—right before I came to CoralVue. I messaged him on R2R to ask if he would fact check a script for a Marine Depot video. He graciously agreed to help a complete stranger and the video was well-received.

We did not speak again until recently. He was interested in the US release date for the Gen2. At some point during our exchanges, I told him about the researcher I had cold feet contacting. He surprised me and said they were chat buddies on Facebook Messenger. He gave me a better way to reach him. Dana even said I could name drop him as the mutual acquaintance who connected us.

Long story short, the researcher didn't stonewall me. He was an open book. I wanted to believe the hype before, but he made me a true believer. I'll share his research, coral lab photos, and excerpts of our conversation later. He may even appear on a future CoralVue live video with us to discuss his work, schedule permitting.

The icing on the cake is that Dana will be independently testing the Gen2 himself. We're not paying him to do it. We're not giving him products or perks to do it. To be honest, I don't even know what tests he intends to perform! Philips donated a CoralCare to the the Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society in Minnesota for a research program they are spearheading (and other clubs should totally emulate). The researcher they selected to test lighting was Dana!

When I told Philips it would be Dana testing the CoralCare along with the Radion and other high-end LED lights, they didn't bat an eye. In fact, they were super gung-ho about it. I think that's a good sign.

CoralCare's lead developer is a reefer himself. He is also a member here! You can hear his story soon on the Reef News Network podcast.

Even better, R2R will be hosting a giveaway for a CoralCare pretty soon. One of the entry requirements is to ask Luc a question about the light. He'll post his answers right in the giveaway thread... so they'll be a HUGE repository of FAQs to help the community.

received_262758318200843.png

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#jeff@coralvue
Great info. So this is a 2 channel light, kinda like the Kessil logic way of doing things? And I see it's 170w output, and how big is the fixture again? 12"×12" fixture, so would the LED layout be maybe a 9"×9" area?

From what's been shown on the leak videos of the app its similar to kessil where there are two sliders: color and intensity.

App starts around 2 min mark.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EXCEPT it's not "restrictive" like Kessil..
Kessil can never have both channels at 100%, the Phillips can.

That's cool!

At around 2:53 they show the "Color Temperature" slider and Intensity slider. I didn't see where it let's you blast both channels at 100% unless I'm not understanding how their "logic algorithm" functions... which is entirely possible (the video isn't in English).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, see post #48 first:
nonkessil.JPG

And now how to explain it..well added the image above so sort of unnecessary now..
Assume Phillips has "20000;. representing ch1 1 100%, ch2 0
10000K,ch 1 100%, ch 2 100%,
6500K ; ch1 0% ch2 100%

Intensity as a measure of gross output will mean different things at each. Well the 2 are identical ;).

..unlike Kessil which will have 100/0%, 50/50%, 0/100%

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, whether its Phillip's or Kessil, you can run the fixture at 100%.

not really.. Kessils "midpoint" has both channels at 50% of potential.
Phillips has both channels at 100%

Phillips maximum output at 2 channels at 100% technically 100% more than just one channel.
Kessils, in theory, never exceeds 100% regardless of color temp/point

the advantage of the Kessil way is you can't change the PAR w/ color temp, though a study shows this isn't perfect.
The Phillips you can..

If you run a phillips at one channel 100% intensity... then lite the other channel to 100%.... you would need to drop the intensity slider to 50% to match.

Last edited:

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really.. Kessils "midpoint" has both channels at 50% of potential.
Phillips has both channels at 100%
So let's say both are 100w lights and both are 2 channel. With the Phillips with both channels at 100% would I not get 50w per channel? Or roughly. And if I set the Kessil to 50/50 color will I not have 50w per channel again.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, I always thought Kessil at 50% color uses all blue and all white channels, then starts turning LEDs off depending which way you move the color.

I guess every day is a school day. I'll have to so some reading

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, I always thought Kessil at 50% color uses all blue and all white channels, then starts turning LEDs off depending which way you move the color.

So I, I don't know why I never checked it, but I just looked at a 160we blue on my QT. Set it to the lowest intensity of 5% color 5% and all LEDs seemed to be on. I left the intensity the same and ramped up color and as it shifted towards 100% the white array became brighter and brighter without messing with intensity.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not an expert on this by all means, just know how it has to be done in order to maintain output at shifting color temperatures (different diodes)

you can't change physics. To keep the "intensity" the same while changing color some diodes need to dim while others brighten (or I suppose shut off , drop current ect)

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on this by all means, just know how it has to be done in order to maintain output at shifting color temperatures (different diodes)
I have a 100w Radion with 8 channels that I can move sliders to 100% for all of them. Doesnt mean I am going to get 800watts out of my light. I understand different color diodes can be higher or lower wattage than others no? But that's the way I look at it. Going 100% on both Phillips channels is still the same as 50/50 with Kessul color.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100w Radion with 8 channels that I can move sliders to 100% for all of them. Doesnt mean I am going to get 800watts out of my light. I understand different color diodes can be higher or lower wattage than others no? But that's the way I look at it. Going 100% on both Phillips channels is still the same as 50/50 with Kessul color.
You can't move Kessil to have both channels at 100% losing 50% of it's "potential" though not it's rating....That's the point..though admittedly it may not be quite that simple..
Phillips will lose 50% (estimates, depends on config) of it's rating at only one channel on.

Maybe my use of the word restriction was too emotional..:)

Last edited:

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't move Kessil to have both channels at 100% losing 50% of it's "potential" though not it's rating....That's the point..though admittedly it may not be quite that simple..
Phillips will lose 50% (estimates, depends on config) of it's rating at only one channel on.

Maybe my use of the word restriction was too emotional..:)
So when I put my Kessil at 50/50 color and 100 int, isnt that the same as 100% each channel. And when I move it to say 70/30, aren't I taking power from one and putting it into the other? Like how you can go over 100% with Hydras?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I put my Kessil at 50/50 color and 100 int, isnt that the same as 100% each channel.
AFAICT no, or you would increase output..
100-0, 75-25, 50-50, 25-75, 0-100 as an example.......ONLY way to maintain power to equal across color shifts..

Pretend it's watts.. all have to add to 100...

And when I move it to say 70/30, aren't I taking power from one and putting it into the other? Like how you can go over 100% with Hydras?

Hydra is sort of a hybrid. Not sure how they adj theirs.. or "borrow" power..
Still more of the "phillips" way.. or almost any other besides Kessil..

There are commercial lighting COB's that do the kessil way by current balancing across 2 channels (WW, CW) to maintain intensity while shifting color from warm to cool..

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back