Phillips CoralCare V2; 2020 US release

U

User1

View Badges
Actually I had a lot of interest in these lights for quite awhile. I’ve been following the information on them in Europe with what info I could find, as well been following the developments of the version 2. I have been wondering if they would even be released in the US at all to be honest, with all the other competitors. Even through all of that I have a point it becomes just excessive waste to me. I’m not expecting these to be cheap, because they are top quality. But it’s starting to crack the price level of just as economic to go back to halides and use LED strips for support for them only.
When I see a post to have a LFS inquire about an account to get the lights then I would like to believe there is a price. Am I to get my LFS to inquire about an account just to get a price for me to go, never mind that’s too much , thanks for wasting all that time? Being a sponsor/and forum participant it kind of cuts out that middle man wasted time.
I’ve got several items that are payed for and still have unknown delivery times because of current situations. Ion Director still hasn’t released yet and release extended. It had a price months ago and I was able to preorder.

I also agree there are much more important things going on in the world today. I have to worry my wife is going to bring something home from a patient and therefore exempt me from going to my job, and vice versa. I feel like I’m going to start wearing the skin off of my temple with thermometers, and who would have thought I’d need to use my plastic I use for gardening to make a decontamination / strip down clothing area in my garage instead of mini greenhouse.

I fully get it. My wife was almost hit by her patients mother today and after the other nurses called the hospital police and intercepted her she proceeded to threaten and kill her. All this in the PICU mind you. Instead of following instructions she is now possibly going to be charged with a felony...who would have thought. I hope your wife has a better run and patience than mine did today. Such is life.

Ion's original delay wasn't related to this mess or at least we won't know depending if anything is sourced from over seas. Some countries are not as transparent but that is another discussion and probably not proper for her. Yes, it did slip but they just updated the firmware to get it ready and March 31st is still a go - or at least that is what we hear. Hope you get it soon, as others I'm sure are excited.

I'm sure I came in to the thread hot. Apologies. It really is just my opinion and you didn't ask for it to be fair. Heck, it isn't even a product I'm interested in - I'm not in the market for lights. I figured more important things are happening and they haven't responded because it wasn't the time. That isn't helping you and so you ended up choosing another product.

Hope whatever it is works out great and special shout out to your better half for her super power. Stress is warp factor 10 on mines unit and I'm sure it is the same everywhere. So please be safe and give her special attention.

Hobby on!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has there been an announcement of release date yet in the US? Obviously I can understand that it’s probably been pushed back.

Screenshot_20200412-102103_Facebook.jpg

Probably beat/fastest way to get any updates is via their Facebook.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see these in the wild.

Wesley is one of the few lucky reefers to be running these lights already. He's pretty active on RC, but here is his Facebook page as well:

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been an announcement of release date yet in the US? Obviously I can understand that it’s probably been pushed back.

The Coronavirus has delayed the launch with factories being closed and whatnot, which has been a major bummer.

But 2 hints to look for which will let you know we're getting close:
  1. When the lights launch in Europe. The US is the next country the CoralCare Gen2 will launch in.
  2. When you start seeing marketing begin in earnest i.e. banners, videos, articles, testing. There will be an obvious ramp-up to the release.

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coronavirus has delayed the launch with factories being closed and whatnot, which has been a major bummer.

1. When the lights launch in Europe. The US is the next country the CoralCare Gen2 will launch in.
  2. When you start seeing marketing begin in earnest i.e. banners, videos, articles, testing. There will be an obvious ramp-up to the release.
Thank you! This LED definitely catches my attention!!!! Hopefully everyone and everything gets some normalcy in the near future.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This LED definitely catches my attention!!!! Hopefully everyone and everything gets some normalcy in the near future.

I wish we had them now! With all of the recent hullabaloo on R2R about LED fixtures cracking, now would have been a perfect time to introduce a light fixture that is built tougher than anything that currently exists on the US market.

The Philips CoralCare Gen2 is going to disrupt the aquarium lighting market in many ways. Coming to the realization that your high-priced lights aren't really "high-end" after all may be a tough pill for some hobbyists to swallow. We anticipate criticisms about the light's weight, rugged looks, etc.

So, if any R2Rers want to do a lighting gut-check until the marketing machine gets going, here are some questions you can ask yourself:
  • Is the warranty on my light longer than 1 year?
  • Is my light UL Listed?
  • Is my light protected from water, dust, and salt creep?
  • Is my light quiet or loud? How often do I have to clean or replace the fans? How much does that cost me?
  • Does my light have a big bulky power brick cluttering up my stand?
  • Does my light work with a third-party controller, or does it force me into a walled garden of proprietary software?
  • Does my light have the best LEDs?
  • How do I know if my light is providing the optimal light spectrum for corals?
  • How many fixtures do I need to buy to get enough light coverage?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't you forget us Canucks there buddy!

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we had them now! With all of the recent hullabaloo on R2R about LED fixtures cracking, now would have been a perfect time to introduce a light fixture that is built tougher than anything that currently exists on the US market.

The Philips CoralCare Gen2 is going to disrupt the aquarium lighting market in many ways. Coming to the realization that your high-priced lights aren't really "high-end" after all may be a tough pill for some hobbyists to swallow. We anticipate criticisms about the light's weight, rugged looks, etc.

So, if any R2Rers want to do a lighting gut-check until the marketing machine gets going, here are some questions you can ask yourself:
  • Is my light UL Listed?
  • Is my light quiet or loud? How often do I have to clean or replace the fans? How much does that cost me?
  • Does my light work with a third-party controller, or does it force me into a walled garden of proprietary software?
Being a Giesemann Halide user I want heavy robust, no fans, quiet, as close to halide as possible before ever switching back.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you forget us Canucks there buddy!

I confirmed CoralVue is the North American distributor for the CoralCare Gen2, not just for the USA (US-eh?).

Being a Giesemann Halide user I want heavy robust, no fans, quiet, as close to halide as possible before ever switching back.

I am a wiser hobbyist than I was when I started, but I've still never been able to grow corals as well as I did back in the day under halides.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Is my light UL Listed?

Shots fired! ;Joyful ;Joyful

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confirmed CoralVue is the North American distributor for the CoralCare Gen2, not just for the USA (US-eh?).

I am a wiser hobbyist than I was when I started, but I've still never been able to grow corals as well as I did back in the day under halides.
Do you have any idea if one of these will be suitable for a 4 foot frag tank for sps? I have considered starting with that instead of switching out my halides on my main tank

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea if one of these will be suitable for a 4 foot frag tank for sps? I have considered starting with that instead of switching out my halides on my main tank

Based on tests performed using the CoralCare Gen2 with aquariums up to 39.37" deep:
  • Surface coverage SPS reef: 31.50x23.62"
  • Surface coverage LPS reef: 35.43x27.56"
  • Surface coverage mixed reef: 39.37x31.50"
  • Min. distance between fixture and water surface: 5.91"
A small batch of lights is coming early to the US, so one of the use cases currently planned is to put it over a frag tank. I believe there will be 1, 2, 3, and 4 lights tested over different systems. Additional independent tests will be performed and results made public to share with the reefkeeping community.

The Gen1 is the most exhaustively tested light that I am aware of. An independent study concluded the original CoralCare grew corals equal to T5 with better coloration (and consuming 30% less power).

Since we hadn't heard of such tests with the Gen2, we asked if we could get some units out to people before their official release to substantiate some of the claims made in the marketing material for the Gen1. Philips happily obliged, so I am feeling pretty confident hobbyists and researchers will report that the Gen2 fixtures will rank among the best reef LED lights ever released in the USA (if not the best).

There are some videos online of the Gen2 CoralCare over a shallow tank:

More recently, Philips told us that they did have studies of the light conducted so we'll be able to share those with you as well.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on tests performed using the CoralCare Gen2 with aquariums up to 39.37" deep:
  • Surface coverage SPS reef: 31.50x23.62"
  • Surface coverage LPS reef: 35.43x27.56"
  • Surface coverage mixed reef: 39.37x31.50"
  • Min. distance between fixture and water surface: 5.91"
A small batch of lights is coming early to the US, so one of the use cases currently planned is to put it over a frag tank. I believe there will be 1, 2, 3, and 4 lights tested over different systems. Additional independent tests will be performed and results made public to share with the reefkeeping community.

The Gen1 is the most exhaustively tested light that I am aware of. An independent study concluded the original CoralCare grew corals equal to T5 with better coloration (and consuming 30% less power).

Since we hadn't heard of such tests with the Gen2, we asked if we could get some units out to people before their official release to substantiate some of the claims made in the marketing material for the Gen1. Philips happily obliged, so I am feeling pretty confident hobbyists and researchers will report that the Gen2 fixtures will rank among the best reef LED lights ever released in the USA (if not the best).

There are some videos online of the Gen2 CoralCare over a shallow tank:

More recently, Philips told us that they did have studies of the light conducted so we'll be able to share those with you as well.

Very interesting, thank you for the information!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be very interesting to see Dana's sciencey stuff re these lights!

Is the cat out of the bag? @Dana Riddle hinted he may get an opportunity to put the CCG2 to the test. But with the Coronavirus putting all of humanity to the test, I don't think any of us knew what might happen. Factories halted production, not to mention Philips/Signify has a higher calling in health technology these days.

But it sounds like things are happening once again. If memory serves, Dana will be testing the Radion G5 around the same time, so it will be interesting to see how they stack up.

The CCG2 light Dana will be testing is being donated to a non-profit organization. They, in turn, are loaning the light to Dana for scientific study. Once complete, he will ship the light back to the NPO. No money has been exchanged. No wheels have been greased.

I believe we share the same motivation which is to uncover the truth about the CoralCare Gen2. How does it compare to the old standards (T5/MH)? How does it compare to the new? Like the Radion, a light many US hobbyists consider to be the current Gold Standard in LED aquarium lighting.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back