Philly Area LFS

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone have any great/horrible experiences at the below stores? I'm looking for *current* reviews of LFS in this area and/or suggestions of other stores to visit? Where do you guys shop and which place is your favorite?

1) That Pet/Fish Place
2) Reef To Rift
3) Aquarium Center
4) MiniReef
5) The Hidden Reef
6) That Fish Factory
7) Aquarium Specialties & Research
8) Captain Nemo's

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hidden reef only for dry good (so many flatworms in livestock tanks, but dry good prices are great), fish factory is decent. They dont have exotic stuff but the stuff they do have is priced nicely. Aquarium specialities is my absolute favorite. The owner is more of a friend than a salesman, and he gets more of the rare stuff. Havent been to the others but i hear bad stuff about nemos and pet placr. I hear good things about mini reef

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Peeptoad

1) That Pet/Fish Place
been there once so don't know
2) Reef To Rift
don't know
3) Aquarium Center
Ahh if ur going to go here I recomend @tsmcorals instead but they do have stuff dry stuff if ur in a pinch at decent prices
4) MiniReef
Don't know
5) The Hidden Reef
Buy only dry food here
6) That Fish Factory
Nice people nice place kinda far away from me only place besides tsm I would by corals and fish from
7) Aquarium Specialties & Research
No idea
8) Captain Nemo's
No idea

Like I said up top of I were u the only place u need to go is tsm corals that's it.

There is another place in turnersville nj that is just starting up her fish looked nice(old employee of aquarium center) sea gem aquatics.

But for my tank the only fish that go in it is tsm fish.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will Check out TSM corals ( TSM Corals LLC, 1000 Delsea Dr G-2, Westville, NJ 08093 ) and where is Sea Gem aquatics?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2228.PNG

I also wanna say each lfs has something to see so I recomend going to everyone you can.

There is another fish store on rt 130 in jersey called value pet now the store is horrible but as it is right down the street from me and the only place that has high quality black worms I still go there. It's a sad place tho and I feel sorry for the fish but if I was in a pinch I could grab some salt or whatever.

I'm not a fan of the internet I enjoy human contact and seeing it and holding it and you have to do that by supporting ur lfs:

Also I'm in cherry hill if u wanted to stop over and see my tank and I could show u where tsm and sea gems is

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2228.PNG

I also wanna say each lfs has something to see so I recomend going to everyone you can.

There is another fish store on rt 130 in jersey called value pet now the store is horrible but as it is right down the street from me and the only place that has high quality black worms I still go there. It's a sad place tho and I feel sorry for the fish but if I was in a pinch I could grab some salt or whatever.

I'm not a fan of the internet I enjoy human contact and seeing it and holding it and you have to do that by supporting ur lfs:

Also I'm in cherry hill if u wanted to stop over and see my tank and I could show u where tsm and sea gems is

Sound Advice. I'm located in Delco! I have been in every store on the list except Hidden Reef and the Fish Factory (now adding TSM and Sea Gem to my list too)! I will post my own personal reviews once I've been to the other stores but I'm looking for other reefer's opinions/suggestions.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well be careful

Once you go to tsm everything else doesn't compare.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to TSM corals now :)! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back! Thanks again .

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hidden reef only for dry good (so many flatworms in livestock tanks, but dry good prices are great), fish factory is decent. They dont have exotic stuff but the stuff they do have is priced nicely. Aquarium specialities is my absolute favorite. The owner is more of a friend than a salesman, and he gets more of the rare stuff. Havent been to the others but i hear bad stuff about nemos and pet placr. I hear good things about mini reef

This spot on. ASR is amazing. Mike is the man!!! Prices are also fantastic. For example, huge chunk of Oregon tort, 89$.

Factory a second, stock has a tendency to not do well. Staff is nice, prices fair.

Hidden reef will nuke your tank. Have interceptor and all other forms of pest anihalation ready to be dosed.

Others unknown.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
justingraham Thanks for letting me know about TSM! You were right TSM is AWESOME!!! I was there for an hour an a half just looking at the corals! I like how everything is clean and quarantined. I just picked up my first fish there (purple firefish getting acclimated now) and Reef Frenzy food! There are lots of corals very reasonably priced (from what I have seen at other stores in the area). I WILL be back for the dragon eye zoa frags (going for $20 for 6-10 heads!) Not a single dead fish any where or any signs of ick/velvet etc, everyone very bright! I was even more excited to hear that they will be getting in captive bred mandarins in august/september!!! (I want one so badly but can not with my current setup). I really like Aquarium Center and this is right up there! Will be posting pics once the fish settles in.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to check them out. Make sure you visit Aquarium Specialties Research sometime. Well worth the drive.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
justingraham Thanks for letting me know about TSM! You were right TSM is AWESOME!!! I was there for an hour an a half just looking at the corals! I like how everything is clean and quarantined. I just picked up my first fish there (purple firefish getting acclimated now) and Reef Frenzy food! There are lots of corals very reasonably priced (from what I have seen at other stores in the area). I WILL be back for the dragon eye zoa frags (going for $20 for 6-10 heads!) Not a single dead fish any where or any signs of ick/velvet etc, everyone very bright! I was even more excited to hear that they will be getting in captive bred mandarins in august/september!!! (I want one so badly but can not with my current setup). I really like Aquarium Center and this is right up there! Will be posting pics once the fish settles in.
Yea well after awhile u will forget about aquarium center as well

And I'm glad u liked it

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pet place is a warehouse full of pet stuff. They have a whole room the size of 2 stores just for fish and corals. I have been there 8 or 9 times. They hold a frag swap in the winter around January. They have an amazing amount of fish. Unfortunately they dont have super cheap prices but you can get everything you need right in the store. Also since they are a pet store and not just a reef store, the corals arent too out of this world but they still have an amazing selection.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want other reefer's options about LFS and more suggestions. I will post later on a more thorough review of all the places I go to. My 2c for some below:

I have been to most of the stores on my list (still need to go to hidden reef, fish factory and now sea gem ) a few times.

About Nemo's, a whole bunch of NOPE, not in my tank. I didn't know if it was just me or if other people also didn't like that place. Lots of aiptasia in empty tanks near the back. Empty Shark tank is a disgrace (nothing in it anymore) and should be cleaned and/or emptied. Fish medication I bought there a couple weeks ago to have on hand expired 6 months ago... the last time I will ever walk into that place unless someone informs me they have done an overhaul, I rather go to Petco.

Aquarium specialties is awesome! Mike gave me a lot of good advice (and he plays tool in his shop!). He cared more about what my tank needed that trying to make a sale! I remember when that place was Frazer Zoo. I got my first snail/copepods from Mike at Aquarium Specialties (ASR) and I do suggest everyone to check that place out! I will be going back for some frags.

Pet Place was great for dry goods and plants (they no longer do plant bundles) and I never had any of my (FW) fish die from that place, now I go to Reef to Rift/ Aquarium Center because they are closer to me. (If any of you remember World Wide, Jim is now at Reef to Rift!). I can't really judge Pet Place coral/salt water because I only ever went there for my planted tank. (Always look at all the FW tanks to make sure no ick outbreak, dead fish etc before buying anything). I did get my RO system there for like $75 a few years ago and it has done me well!

MiniReef is a tiny place that is more like a group of friends. I saw a couple of fish with Ich when I went in a few days ago, Sal was in the middle of swapping out he tanks to hold more fish but stopped started to take care of the Ich right away! Then told me of other fish stores in the area to visit! He is also another hobbyist, not a salesman! I feel terrible the "pet" (trigger fish I think) that ate out of your hand was spooked by a kid splashing in the pond area and got stuck and died :( Sal will also order anything you want! He is the closest to me and I'll be stopping by for the $20 hammer frag and Reef Frenzy they stock!

Aquarium Center has great selection on corals, fish are healthy, inverts are nice and organized, live foods, great plants! Good prices too (from my little experience)! This is one of my top 3! (they have a sea hare there that I am fascinated with, and they don't mind when I just stand at the coral tank and stare at it for 2 hours lol!)

Reef to Rift is amazing! They have true Zebra plecos (FW fish that I love... not the $400 price tag but $100 cheaper than anywhere else!). I am partial to this place because of Jim, who helped me with my first tank when I was 13 and most of my other problems till world wide closed. Coral selection could be stocked more for the space they allow for it, but it is a GREAT place. They just like TSM also Quarantine all of their stuff before it goes up for sale. I did pick up another Bolivian Ram but she is very healthy and Jim was able to sex her correctly (very hard to do)!

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highlight was dragon eyes? Anything exotic?
I am still VERY new to the salt water hobby, for exotic, they just got Sea Dragons in (Captive Bred, in quarantine!) A whole bunch of SPS, Acros, lots of beautiful fish that my 20G can't hold!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Back