Phosphate problem

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up and running for around six months and I've noticed I'm not growing coraline algae on the walls or my power head. The rocks are covered in it, and my coral is not only thriving but growing as well. After doing some reading I learned it could be because of high nitrates and phosphates which as luck would have it I had both. After a lot of water changes and the addition of a carbon sponge to my wet/dry the nitrates have dropped to zero however the phosphates are still around 3.0 according to my API test kit. So my question is what else can I use to lower the phosphates??
Thanks guys
Paule

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem phosguard in the sump. Put it in a net bag and leave it for a few days and then retest your levels. If it is under control then you can remove it and save it for use as needed, Eventually it will be used up and then you are taking a chance of leaching back. There is some debate whether this happens or not, but if it is no longer lowering your levels then it is time to replace it. You can also put it in a reactor if you want, but I find it just as effective in the sump without additional equipment or expense. You should also check your source water. If it is nigh in phosphates then your are fighting a no win battle. You will need to change to RO water in that case.

OP
OP
D

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys just ordered some phosguard and I'll go out and get a new test kit this weekend!!!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna phos checker all the way. Drop your phos slowly I would do like 1/4 recomended ammount the toss after a few days to a week. Not because of leaching back which I've nvr noticed but because with such high phos ur going to expends the gfo really fast and need to replace once u see that ur phos isn't dropping. Them after u finally get ur phos below 0.1 ur gfo will last much longer and should be replaced monthly. And probly wont need but 1/2 recomended ammount.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me get this straight.....your corals are thriving, you have coraline on your rocks & you want to lower your nutrient levels because you don't have coraline on your back walls or powerheads?

Are you fighting any nuisance algae?

OP
OP
D

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight.....your corals are thriving, you have coraline on your rocks & you want to lower your nutrient levels because you don't have coraline on your back walls or powerheads?

Are you fighting any nuisance algae?

No I wanted to reduce the phosphates because I thought they were bad. Mine were very high......they have dropped to almost zero though with the phosguard. thanks for the help guys !!

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rapid reductions in po4 can be deadly to sps...keep a close eye on them. Zero is never good thing either....they need some nutrients to thrive on.

OP
OP
D

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay everyone thanks again for your concern and advice!!! I have reduced the phosphates from 3.0 to 0.25, tank is still looking amazing and as far as keeping SPS I am not that good yet!!! Hopefully someday but for now it's shrooms and zoas!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it turned out well! But...

Hunting for problems with meters and test kits without some prior indication of a problem is rarely a good idea as many folks (with the best of intentions) seem to end up seeing problems where there are none then act on the test results anyway. Generally if the tank inhabitants look well you are doing well. Hands off! ;-)

Also (assuming your 3.0 ppm was accurate) you did not seem to address how things got so far out of whack. Massive overstocking, lack or water changes and other maintenance procedures as well as overfeeding are all likely explanations to consider and atempt to resolve so as not to repeat the situation. Any idea what brought on the big numbers? (And did you ever verify the 3.0 with another brand of test kit or meter?)

-Matt

OP
OP
D

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it turned out well! But...

Hunting for problems with meters and test kits without some prior indication of a problem is rarely a good idea as many folks (with the best of intentions) seem to end up seeing problems where there are none then act on the test results anyway. Generally if the tank inhabitants look well you are doing well. Hands off! ;-)

Also (assuming your 3.0 ppm was accurate) you did not seem to address how things got so far out of whack. Massive overstocking, lack or water changes and other maintenance procedures as well as overfeeding are all likely explanations to consider and atempt to resolve so as not to repeat the situation. Any idea what brought on the big numbers? (And did you ever verify the 3.0 with another brand of test kit or meter?)

-Matt

Matt things got so out of whack from hurricane sandy I lost two fish and a starfish that short of ripping the entire tank apart I couldn't find, as far as stock goes I only have three fish in there(five pre-sandy) of which I only feed once a day. I'm hoping the problem was caused by a post-sandy die off. I had no light, filtration, or heat in the tank for almost 14 days....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that's what did it, but at least there's no mystery to what happened so far as the tank is concerned…

Glad to hear things are back together enough that you can finally deal with fish tanks! :)

Good luck!

-Matt

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%
Back