Phosphate reactor

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting around to setting up my "Two Little Fishes" Phosphate Reactor. I have been fighting slime algae tooth and nail since I moved the tank. Anyone have any recommendations on a media? I have been reading a lot of people using the ROWA product.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I use, ROWAphos. Just be careful not to add too much to the reactor right away. It can affect the PH. Start with maybe 1/4 of the reactor for a week or so, then double that. Less if your tank is under 75 gallons or so. Run your flow just enough to make the media 'dance' a little.

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set mine up this weekend. I was going to ask the same question. I've used phosban in the past but it really ticks off the leathers and sarcos.

Zep, are you saying that the reactor should be filled 1/2 way when the tank is acclimated?

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with 1/4 full, then add another 1/4, so my reactor is 1/2 way full. I use it for about 6 months that way, then change it out. I am running about a 600 gallon display system. I also use R/O water. If youre using tap water, it probably wont last as long.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the distance from the reactor to the tank...does that matter? And does it matter where the raw water into the reactor is drawn from (display, sump, etc...) and where it is returned to (display, sump, etc...)?

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think allot of that matters except where it is drawn from. I feed mine off my return which is after my skimmer and pre-filter. I did this so as little ditrius as possible went through the reactor. The flow is so slow that if allot of ditrius gets in the mix, it could start to be a nitrate factory, as the ditrius builds up within the reactor. Just pre-cautionary on my part. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back