Photo advice needed

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an older Nikon 3100 for my pictures. Everything seems to work well except for pictures of my hippo tang. If he is in the shot, my blues get all out of wack but it seems like it only happens if I take pictures in RAW format.
This is what it looks like with no editing.
DSC_0020-2.jpg

By the time I get him looking normal, everything else in the photo looks washed out.

Its frustrating when I can get pictures like this when he isn't in them, but if he is in the shot, it's a mess.
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tired using one of those orange filters when the blues are on? Sometimes it washes out the picture tho.

Someone else prob has better advice lol. I use my Iphone 10 soooo.......

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tired using one of those orange filters when the blues are on? Sometimes it washes out the picture tho.

Someone else prob has better advice lol. I use my Iphone 10 soooo.......
I have but it makes everything worse instead of just the one fish. No problem with this on my Iphone 8. It also hasn't always been an issue with this camera. Not sure why, but something changed one day. Not sure if it was a camera setting that made it a problem or if it was a programming change with my lights.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have but it makes everything worse instead of just the one fish. No problem with this on my Iphone 8. It also hasn't always been an issue with this camera. Not sure why, but something changed one day. Not sure if it was a camera setting that made it a problem or if it was a programming change with my lights.
The LED’s can do strange things And it also depends what settings your camera is on. Have you tried it not in RAW mode.

I’ve just posted a picture on my build of my blue Tang taken a few days ago and it’s with a Canon EOS 750D

There are so many settings and maybe @najer can shed some light on this for you

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there factory settings you can reset? You take the lens apart and clean it good?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your lights again, what white balance do you have it set at?
I don't shoot RAW, lazy!
I have 3 Mitras LX7206's.
Umm.. not sure what my white balance is.

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem with my Azure Damsel :) It looks... unnatural under ~12K T5 (no LEDs).

Lumix G10, RAW.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do custom WB for the tank. Should help balance it out. My Fuji using AWB with blue led everything looks grossly over saturated with blue. Using my custom WB it looks like it does in real life.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your lights again, what white balance do you have it set at?
I don't shoot RAW, lazy!

Do custom WB for the tank. Should help balance it out. My Fuji using AWB with blue led everything looks grossly over saturated with blue. Using my custom WB it looks like it does in real life.
Looks like I need to learn about white balance and how to adjust it. I appreciate you guys pointing me in the what I hope is the right direction!

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know much on how to do it on Nikons. But just take a look in the manual and see how to set it. It should be easy. My Fuji I just point at the tank and press shutter to set it. My old canons has to use white paper in the light source to create it.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much on how to do it on Nikons. But just take a look in the manual and see how to set it. It should be easy. My Fuji I just point at the tank and press shutter to set it. My old canons has to use white paper in the light source to create it.
Shouldn't be a problem now that I know what to look for. I'll be honest, white balance doesn't mean much to me, but I can find it in a manual and change it! ;)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It.might be cause ur overexposing the highlights and alsona wb issue thing. Try to underexpose a bit and shoot raw then in adobe raw or any raw converter u can easily tweak the colors. Checkout the photograohy articles in the stickes in the photography forum i explain that in detail there

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It.might be cause ur overexposing the highlights and alsona wb issue thing. Try to underexpose a bit and shoot raw then in adobe raw or any raw converter u can easily tweak the colors. Checkout the photograohy articles in the stickes in the photography forum i explain that in detail there
Thanks for the reminder! I read those articles quite awhile ago and I think most of it went over my head. Now that I've been playing around with my camera more I should review them. They might make more sense now.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to come back and say thanks for the tips! Between adjusting the white balance and using tips from the stickied articles I was able to get a decent FTS with absolutely minimal editing. Best colors I've ever gotten on an FTS. I still need practice, but I'm catching on!
DSC_0005.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nive tank u got there. And great shot. Love that hippo, myndominant tang is also a hippo, what size is it and how long have u had it ?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nive tank u got there. And great shot. Love that hippo, myndominant tang is also a hippo, what size is it and how long have u had it ?
The hippo is 7" to 8" and I've had it a little over 2 years. Stunning fish but I worry I may have to rehome him. My tank has a lot of open swimming area but I don't want him to be stressed and he keeps growing!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back