Photographing Coral

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice for using a macro lens for tank photography:

Fit the lens hood, and hold that against the glass so you know you are absolutely parallel to the tank glass (anything other than parallel will cause distortion and massively reduce the quality of the image).

Use a fast enough shutter speed to avert any movement, or alternatively turn flow pumps off.

I prefer to manual focus, but my camera also notifies me when it's in focus with a green indicator even when on manual focus.

Try a series of f stops to see how much depth of field you want to achieve. Using your lens at f2.8 will give you a shallow depth of field, but hands you a faster shutter speed and lower ISO.

I use a Sigma 105mm lens and I use it for everything bar FTS - amazing bit of kit!

New camera body by Andy, on Flickr

Pink Hyacinthus Macro 11-1-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Ice Fire 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

Blue Mille 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

FFM 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

Cirrhilabrus Exquisitus 5-1-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Pygoplites Diacanthus 26-2-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Paracheilinus mccoskeri by Andy, on Flickr
I really like your light modeling on the corals. That will be my next goal for macro. Yours and what denvercherub posted is just perfect in my opinion.
My advice for using a macro lens for tank photography:

Fit the lens hood, and hold that against the glass so you know you are absolutely parallel to the tank glass (anything other than parallel will cause distortion and massively reduce the quality of the image).

Use a fast enough shutter speed to avert any movement, or alternatively turn flow pumps off.

I prefer to manual focus, but my camera also notifies me when it's in focus with a green indicator even when on manual focus.

Try a series of f stops to see how much depth of field you want to achieve. Using your lens at f2.8 will give you a shallow depth of field, but hands you a faster shutter speed and lower ISO.

I use a Sigma 105mm lens and I use it for everything bar FTS - amazing bit of kit!

New camera body by Andy, on Flickr

Pink Hyacinthus Macro 11-1-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Ice Fire 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

Blue Mille 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

FFM 1-4-15 by Andy, on Flickr

Cirrhilabrus Exquisitus 5-1-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Pygoplites Diacanthus 26-2-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Paracheilinus mccoskeri by Andy, on Flickr

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same lens that I have. What camera are you using and what autofocus settings are you on if I may ask? I have just found, for me, that manual focus is where I get my better pics.
I'm using my wife's canon EOS 5D mark iii. I have the lens set to full for AF.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure this thread needed some more pics.

BloodyMaryStag_1710.jpg

BoomsLemonSourMille_1729.jpg

BubbleGumMille_1708.jpg

SupermanMille_1711.jpg

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also something that is a good tip. You generally want to focus on whatever is closest to you. I know some people sometimes focus more on the "trunk" of the coral, but in the end it doesn't look right as the tips all closest to you are blurred out. If you want to have the tips and body in focus, you'll have to up the fstop, and likely need to be using a tripod with a delay as it will probably need a much longer exposure for f22+.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handheld shots with canon 60mm lens from 1st post

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viewfinder use is a must, I only ever use my screen for image review.

I use AF a lot, most of the time really unless I want to achieve a specific image and the camera needs more of my input. For fish shots I use Lock-On AF which will lock onto a subject, and as long as I keep that subject in frame, it will follow it around - my god is that a god send! That plus a high shutter rate equals plenty of crap pictures, and a handful of half decent ones.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to show us the new improved pics? :p I'm dying to see

Today I'm doing a water change and will attempt "better" photos thereafter. I also just bought a nice frag rack so that I can get my frags next to the glass for better photos
My philosophy of life is to ALWAYS expect the worst so that anything good that happens is a pleasant surprise. What I'm saying is please expect poor images. [emoji4]

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm doing a water change and will attempt "better" photos thereafter. I also just bought a nice frag rack so that I can get my frags next to the glass for better photos
My philosophy of life is to ALWAYS expect the worst so that anything good that happens is a pleasant surprise. What I'm saying is please expect poor images. [emoji4]
Okay, Lowered Expectations duly noted. But, in my humble opinion, anybody that can spend two days taking one picture of Uranus should get pretty good at this pretty quick. I will probably be looking for tips from you in the near future.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Lowered Expectations duly noted. But, in my humble opinion, anybody that can spend two days taking one picture of Uranus should get pretty good at this pretty quick. I will probably be looking for tips from you in the near future.
Is this post going to open the pun door? Lol :)

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh hahaha. Now I get it. I had no idea where that was going, all I could think was seriously?! I just want a piece of it. :eek:

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a sweet coral. And an excellent picture.
I know it says its a Bloody Mary stag. I have something close to it that is called a c kombucha tenias. From Cherry corals. Mine has a blue tip though and a little pinker in the polyps.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back