Phyto fertilizer options?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thalia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Thalia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2026
Messages
134
Reaction score
84
Location
Eastern Fraser valley
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these leftover from my freshwater tank, I also have blue crystal Miracle-Grow. Can I use any of these to successfully grow phyto? I'm in rural Canada so finding f2 is tricky and expensive ($60+/bottle). If I really have to I'll buy it, but if I don't have to it'd be nice.
20260322_075827.jpg
 
Is it hard to get a seed culture?

If so, then I'd pony up for the F2 solution and play it safe.

If it's not hard to come by, then I'd probably experiment with what you have first and see how it goes.

(I think folks have posted about this before.)
 
Here’s the f/2 recipe (could omit the silicate if not doing diatoms)

https://ncma.bigelow.org/PDF Files/NCMA algal medium f_2.pdf
I recall it ends up with roughly 50ppm NO3 and 3 ppm PO4, perhaps ask ChatGPT to do the conversions.

F/2 has a lot of iron and manganese, perhaps check if the freshwater fertilizer is sufficient tor the trace elements. There’s also quite a bit of vitamin added in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new