Phyto Growth Chamber...

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of the mess with liter bottles and shop light... So plywood and 6500K flexible led strips from Amazon...

Grows a bit slower that the shop light or PAR38 that I used as well. I attribute this to cooler temp.

Holds five 1/2 gallon pretzel, pickle, BRS etc... jugs

20171220_164609.jpg

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about painting the inside of that cover white or lining it with reflective material to maximize the light that gets to the containers? It might help a little.

How air tight is that? I wonder if a sugar water and yeast mixture to produce CO2 would boost growth, or even be worth it.

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not "air tight" per se as the power for the leds and airlines come in through the back (see dark spot on bottom left). I tried sugar water/yeast to boost CO2 some years ago with the "normal" two liter bottle & shop light arrangement. I could not see much difference.

The inside is painted "ultra white" from Lowe's so there is some reflective properties. It would be interesting to see if a truly reflective material would help. Thus far I am harvesting phyto in about 3-5 days where with a standard Par38 6500K bulb (which was directed right onto the container) would be 3-4 days.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a huge differrence then. Maybe an extra container to compensate if you need it.

From the picture it looked like the hinged section wasn't painted. Probably just my screen.
Aluminum foil would be simple enough and cheap enough to try for a quick experiment.

I was thinking of doing something similar once I expand from two 1L Erlenmeyer flasks on hommade stirplates. Looks good.

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was concerned about the led strips being effective, but they are working well.

Grow led strips might be better... next time [emoji41]

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that might have been a better option. Hind sight.....

You might be able to suppliment with some red or blue strips.

Last edited:

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I burned out my grow LED strip lights in a month by letting them get too hot in an enclosure. Probably not a problem in this case, but wanted to mention it.

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the longevity of the LEDs is something to consider. If they go out I can fall back rather quickly to PAR38 bulbs if needed. I might go to LED grow strips at that point for a test.

And so the great experiment called Reef keeping continues....

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the longevity of the LEDs is something to consider. If they go out I can fall back rather quickly to PAR38 bulbs if needed. I might go to LED grow strips at that point for a test.

And so the great experiment called Reef keeping continues....
Update... all continues to go well. Phyto max's out in 3 - 4 days...

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing more pictures of this setup?
No problem. Just be advised that the algae grows really quickly. I was used to running 5 2liter bottles in daily rotation. I can only run 3 to 4 day cycles. I'm hoping to use the other two slots for pods but haven't implemented that idea.
4516f7fb8bd2f60e8078e98843a62a48.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking of making something like this, but I'm super space limited. I really like your flip top setup, nice work.

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flip top took some time to envision, measure, think, cut, measure again, cut again..

I built a frame first out of 1x2 pine to make sure that it worked and then covered with Th in plywood. Then finished...

Took more time to paint than anything else, inside was ceiling white and outside matched my wall color..

Leds finally had to be notified down.

OP
OP
sntlewis

sntlewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flip top took some time to envision, measure, think, cut, measure again, cut again..

I built a frame first out of 1x2 pine to make sure that it worked and then covered with Th in plywood. Then finished...

Took more time to paint than anything else, inside was ceiling white and outside matched my wall color..

Leds finally had to be notified down.
Sorry hotglued!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back