OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to try the outdoor method once it gets warm! Plastic container in my screened in porch… DONE!
That is what I am finding so cool about phytoplankton is you can do it in so many ways. I was at a fancy plant store the other day and saw a giant glass terrarium and thought that would look cool bubbling with phytoplankton.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read wildly different dosing suggestions for phytoplankton everything from very little to as much as you have. I know a lot depends on system but what have you all done?
For dosing into the display tank? I don't follow any guidelines or measurements. Every week, half the jar of tisbe and half the jar of apocyclops go into my tank. Then I refill and feed the cultures with my phyto, anything left over gets bottled and put in the fridge for if I ever have a crash. I usually end up with 3 or 4 20oz bottles of phyto that I just dump into the tank throughout the week. Always make sure I save one bottle though.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's shot
20230124_134843.jpg

They also sell a dosing cap so you can leave a phyto tank running and just dose right out of it. I am starting to think something like that might be handy....

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I got a pair of these bad boys as well and true, DIY is simple enough but its definitely a well put together kit. That is A LOT of phyto you're making!! Are you going through several gallons of phyto per week?

Lothar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the temperature ranges for culturing phyto and copepods? I would have to do it in my garage which may get down upper 30’s in winter and up to 100 in the summer.

Thanks

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I got a pair of these bad boys as well and true, DIY is simple enough but its definitely a well put together kit. That is A LOT of phyto you're making!! Are you going through several gallons of phyto per week?
I have 3 soon to be 4 reefs set up, and whatever is left after feeding pods and reefs I will try to give away to local reefers. Eventually I will probably switch to 3 different phytoplankton.

I also have a habit of overdoing things....

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread. I purchased a set, once you get over the initial cost it is definitely a great purchase with no regrets. Very well made and will help to keep my tank habitats happy.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the temperature ranges for culturing phyto and copepods? I would have to do it in my garage which may get down upper 30’s in winter and up to 100 in the summer.

Thanks
Spent a while looking for this for you so I can do more than just say "my cultures are at this."

Theoretically there is a very broad range of temps that cultures can be maintained at. Mostly depends on the type of phyto and how fast you want your culture to grow. Remember, there is phytoplankton in the arctic and also on the equator so their temp range is vast.

I keep my basement fish room anywhere from 60-71, all my cultures are run without heaters and they do just fine. Their rate of growth slows in colder temps and increases in warmer. Most things online recommend keeping them from 74-80 for best growth rate. This would require supplemental heating for me and I did not want to go that route. I wanted to have as airtight of a lid as possible with airlock ventilation.

In a garage that drops down to 30 degrees I would probably look at using a heater, but you can always do some experimenting to see what works.

I know when I culture rotifers I prefer to use cooler water as it tends to make the rotifers larger and more nutrient dense. I feed these to corals. When I start trying to breed fish I will use warmer water so the rotifers reproduce faster and are slightly smaller for larval fish to eat.

Hope this helps and wasn't too much.

Lothar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a while looking for this for you so I can do more than just say "my cultures are at this."

Theoretically there is a very broad range of temps that cultures can be maintained at. Mostly depends on the type of phyto and how fast you want your culture to grow. Remember, there is phytoplankton in the arctic and also on the equator so their temp range is vast.

I keep my basement fish room anywhere from 60-71, all my cultures are run without heaters and they do just fine. Their rate of growth slows in colder temps and increases in warmer. Most things online recommend keeping them from 74-80 for best growth rate. This would require supplemental heating for me and I did not want to go that route. I wanted to have as airtight of a lid as possible with airlock ventilation.

In a garage that drops down to 30 degrees I would probably look at using a heater, but you can always do some experimenting to see what works.

I know when I culture rotifers I prefer to use cooler water as it tends to make the rotifers larger and more nutrient dense. I feed these to corals. When I start trying to breed fish I will use warmer water so the rotifers reproduce faster and are slightly smaller for larval fish to eat.

Thank you. Great information.

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a build thread or not but wanted to document my journey into growing Phytoplankton and copepods.
I ordered the Poseidon Reef Systems PhytoTank CL Copepod System and added on 3 extra Reactors, and 1 extra Pod nest.
I called and asked a question about my order and they were very helpful and sent some extra parts to ensure I had what I needed to get started.
It arrived yesterday and was very well packaged
20230118_155001.jpg

It came with everything you need to start, and the cultures should be here Friday.

So far I am very impressed, heavy duty glass with a very tight fitting lid. Turned on lights and they were super bright and wrap all around the tank.
20230118_181621.jpg

Also came with incredibly detailed instructions, and a guarantee if the culture crashes.

Cannot wait to finish set up and start these up.
I always wanted to do this and never knew how! Will follow along here !

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This probably doesn't work as well with several cultures going at once, but I only have one container.

My "fish room" is in the basement as well, around 60ish° F this time of year. I use a heating mat (like what you put under seed trays when germinating seeds) and kind of surround 3 sides of the container with the mat standing up on its side. The last side that is not surrounded is where the light sits. My culture stays at around 72-74 degrees doing that.

Thought I would throw that out there in case it helps anyone else.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably doesn't work as well with several cultures going at once, but I only have one container.

My "fish room" is in the basement as well, around 60ish° F this time of year. I use a heating mat (like what you put under seed trays when germinating seeds) and kind of surround 3 sides of the container with the mat standing up on its side. The last side that is not surrounded is where the light sits. My culture stays at around 72-74 degrees doing that.

Thought I would throw that out there in case it helps anyone else.
That sounds like a great way to do it.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230125_115825.jpg

I noticed the 2 ends are darker than the middle. Which is odd as everything should be the exact same. Only thing I can think of is the air line got pressed into the bag funny and it did not bubble for a unknown time before I figured it out..... so far these are working as advertised.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230126_071943.jpg

Bought these off Amazon to control lights. Working great so far.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back