Phytoplankton and copepod system

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a build thread or not but wanted to document my journey into growing Phytoplankton and copepods.
I ordered the Poseidon Reef Systems PhytoTank CL Copepod System and added on 3 extra Reactors, and 1 extra Pod nest.
I called and asked a question about my order and they were very helpful and sent some extra parts to ensure I had what I needed to get started.
It arrived yesterday and was very well packaged
20230118_155001.jpg

It came with everything you need to start, and the cultures should be here Friday.

So far I am very impressed, heavy duty glass with a very tight fitting lid. Turned on lights and they were super bright and wrap all around the tank.
20230118_181621.jpg

Also came with incredibly detailed instructions, and a guarantee if the culture crashes.

Cannot wait to finish set up and start these up.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start out with 1 tank for Phytoplankton and 2 for copepods and then eventually build up to 3 for phytoplankton and 2 for copepods. Honestly I think this will be more than I need but I tend to overdo things.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I debated between building something DIY and buying this kit for a long time. I went with the easy button and so far am happy these are heavy duty and the wrap around light is fantastic. It is also set up very scientific with bags for each culture and replacement parts. Even air filters for the air lines. Also came with a control to dim the lights and different ways to control air flow.

I feel with this set up once I get it fine tuned it will be easy to produce a very consistent product.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question? Is the color of the lights adjustable or did you order them that way?
The lights are white only, the intensity is adjustable. The 3 on the right have Phytoplankton in them and will hopefully get a little darker green each day. The 2 on the left are copepods, with a little phytoplankton for them too eat.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super fun to do an not to complicated.
Do yourself a favor and get a microscope if you don't have one.
Checking the phyto to make sure it's actually the phyto species you have, and not just a random algae is a good idea (contamination happens, especially after several batches).
Checking the pod species is also fun to do.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting with Tisbe Copepod and nannochloropsis oculata phytoplankton. I am thinking about eventually growing another kind of phyto any suggestions on what would make for a good variety?

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a cleaner/nicer looking set up than mine. I used glass gallon jars with some solid airline tubing and a cheap generic tank light against the backs. Grows more phyto than I know what to do with at times and I constantly have pods to add to my tanks.

It turns into an addiction! I just added rotifers and amphipods to the mix as well.

Definitely get yourself a microscope as others have said. Fun way to keep tabs on it.

Attachments

• Phyto.jpeg
    Phyto.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a cleaner/nicer looking set up than mine. I used glass gallon jars with some solid airline tubing and a cheap generic tank light against the backs. Grows more phyto than I know what to do with at times and I constantly have pods to add to my tanks.

It turns into an addiction! I just added rotifers and amphipods to the mix as well.

Definitely get yourself a microscope as others have said. Fun way to keep tabs on it.
I think your setup looks awesome!
I have thought about rotifers but they seem to increase the amount of effort needed beyond the weekly effort needed now.
What kind of Phytoplankton are you growing?

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your setup looks awesome!
I have thought about rotifers but they seem to increase the amount of effort needed beyond the weekly effort needed now.
What kind of Phytoplankton are you growing?
Thanks! Rotifers definitely upped the work load, but I want to efficiently start raising them and get it down so I can then look at trying to breed clowns and cardinals.

Two different types of phyto. Nannochloropsis to feed my pods and most of my corals and then Isochrysis Galbana for my clams.

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS posted a MACNA talk by Todd Gardner that has lots of great information in it for phyto and copepod growers if you haven't watched it already. One thing that stuck out to me was a study about how multiple species of phytoplankton fed to the copepods greatly increases the numbers of copepods you get (in some cases, 4-5x if my memory is correct). I've been growing the Nanno phyto for about a year and a half, but it crashes periodically. I feed it to multiple batches of Apex pods that I have had good success with. I am hoping to improve my phyto techniques to space the crashes out. I will be following your build to see your progress and pick up tips. Good luck!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230122_151003.jpg

Day 3 and a little greener.

Forgot to mention started with saltwater mixed to 35 ppt.

The phyto I am bubbling rapidly the copepods a few bubbles per second.

Ambient temperature is 66-70 degrees.

With the bag inside the tank it is hard to see any increase in copepods, but I am expecting a few weeks before I can harvest any.

Instructions are for new bag every week so I think I will follow as written to start. Eventually I would like to experiment since I have the 3 for phytoplankton but for now want to get some base lines.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back