Phytoplankton and copepod system

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got this system also, but have had 3 straight crashes. Everything has been bleached and sanitized with rubbing alcohol. I don't get why they keep crashing. Lights on 16 hours, bubbles like a boil, everything is sanitized. Got some nanno in today from different supplier to see if that helps. Otherwise, phyto culturing just isn't in the cards for me maybe? Lol

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got this system also, but have had 3 straight crashes. Everything has been bleached and sanitized with rubbing alcohol. I don't get why they keep crashing. Lights on 16 hours, bubbles like a boil, everything is sanitized. Got some nanno in today from different supplier to see if that helps. Otherwise, phyto culturing just isn't in the cards for me maybe? Lol
Don’t feel bad. I can’t keep phyto the normal way. I’ve had “success” with tetraselmis in my old 75 gallon tank. It helped that there were fish in there. I also had good lighting.

I’m getting ready to try again though. I have a 5 gallon tank to start a culture in. I’ll use a small HOB filter with no media for circulation. Under the stand belonging to my current system, where the culture will be, I have two Viparspectra 300w (165 actual) grow lights.

I’ll use water from the DT with a little f/2 for fertilizer and an entire bottle of nannochloropsis algae. As the mother culture matures I’ll try starting smaller cultures. Once I can get smaller cultures running reliably I can empty the 5 gallon tank, bleach it, and start a different culture in there.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv only crashed once, funny enough it was the time I tried to clean it the most. So now I only rinse things and wipe dry now. Unless I’m resetting the whole thing after rinsing I’ll use alcohol but then it’s sits for a week so I know the alcohol is long gone. I also use 91%. Week to week though I just split my brew of Phyto 28oz in the the fridge and then top with saltwater and dilute the salinity to 30. Iv also found 5-6 days for a split seems to be my number. I hope this helps

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven't used this system, but a method that I'm familiar with is to sanitize with bleach (make sure it's just a solution of sodium hypochlorite, no other additives), and then dechlorinate with sodium thiosulfate. Did you use any dechlorinator after treating with bleach, or use a bleach that had other additives?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id give everything a good rinse/soak in RO after you sanitize. Personally I just swap out the bags and give a quick whipe down with 91% alc. Its possible you have over sanitized. Also, You might double check your salinity. 1.025 of reef crystals for me has never crashed, favoring a warmer temperature. I keep my jugs in a cabinet and pull the air from outside the cabinet. Outside of that the only other thing I can think of is how you are fertilizing the phyto. The Poseidon included fertilizers at 2mil each work fine, Ive tried adding more with very little difference in density. 350mil of phyto to start the culture is the sweet spot in my opinion and can be harvest after 5-7 days

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have too much air? Ive got the Eheim 400 and it's a pretty aggressive boil in there, even turned down.

Ive noticed one batch looked good around day 5, but thought I needed it to go full 7 days. But it crashed day 6.

Maybe I need to harvest sooner instead of looking for a really thick dark green on day 7?

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used this system, but a method that I'm familiar with is to sanitize with bleach (make sure it's just a solution of sodium hypochlorite, no other additives), and then dechlorinate with sodium thiosulfate. Did you use any dechlorinator after treating with bleach, or use a bleach that had other additives?
No just rinse and alcohol after

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have too much air? Ive got the Eheim 400 and it's a pretty aggressive boil in there, even turned down.

Ive noticed one batch looked good around day 5, but thought I needed it to go full 7 days. But it crashed day 6.

Maybe I need to harvest sooner instead of looking for a really thick dark green on day 7?
It doesn't have to be very aggressive, just a rolling bubble. For color, The way I gauge it is like this, add 350mil of phyto to start it, the jar when lit will look pale green. At around day 5 it should look neon green, not dark, pull it then. When you transfer it to your storage jug, it will look to be an army green color, it doesn't have to be very dark green. If you order from algae barn for instance just compare your culture to theirs. I

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have to be very aggressive, just a rolling bubble. For color, The way I gauge it is like this, add 350mil of phyto to start it, the jar when lit will look pale green. At around day 5 it should look neon green, not dark, pull it then. When you transfer it to your storage jug, it will look to be an army green color, it doesn't have to be very dark green. If you order from algae barn for instance just compare your culture to theirs. I
That helps, thanks

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a few different bags to try:

These have a flatter bottom which might fill the space a little better:

These seem to be the same dimensions that came with it:

I really do like the idea of just pulling out a bag and putting in a new one to start a clean new culture, but not sure I want to pay a dollar a piece forever.

Once I get these in I will update how well they fit for anyone that might want to try them with a DIY set up.
Have you tried the square bottom bags yet? If so, did they fit good in the container?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to know if anyone found a better bulk option on the bags. I've tried fish bags and for whatever reason they didn't work well for phyto.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20230119_210135.jpg

It came with air filters and multiple controls. Cannot wait for tomorrow to get it running.

I want to order a system and have 4 jars. Do I order 2 separate systems or 1 system of 2 jars and then order separate jars? How many jars can be put on 1 pump and do the extra jars come with everything you need to add on to the existing system?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to order a system and have 4 jars. Do I order 2 separate systems or 1 system of 2 jars and then order separate jars? How many jars can be put on 1 pump and do the extra jars come with everything you need to add on to the existing system?
I would just email the phyto tank folks and get (2) 3.5L jars, if you're just doing phyto you wouldn't need the dimmer. 9L per week is a lot of phyto IMO. You could easily bubble (2) jars on one pump, maybe (4) although I haven't personally tried that. I have ran (2) 3.5L Phyto jars and (1) 3.5L copepod jar off one aqualifter pump no problem

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get some updates from people in here - Are you still going strong?

I'd also like to know if anyone has thought about doing a continuous dose of phyto -> pods -> tank and whether it is possible to keep it going forever.

Finally, why use bags instead of the jug itself? Just to reduce the need to clean?

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get some updates from people in here - Are you still going strong?

I'd also like to know if anyone has thought about doing a continuous dose of phyto -> pods -> tank and whether it is possible to keep it going forever.

Finally, why use bags instead of the jug itself? Just to reduce the need to clean?

Still running strong, had a few crash’s (children).

some ppl do dose continuously however I am not one of them so can’t comment too much I have been considering it but on the back burner.

I use the bags for easy change out and don’t have to clean dry and sterilize the jar each time, just the lid and tubes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back