Phytoplankton Culturing

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Just a quick question (If I can make it make sense!). I've started a phytoplankton culture in a 1 gallon jar (128 ounces, or ~3.78 Liters). I started the culture with 1/2 gallon salt water (64 ounces or ~1.89 liters) and 16 ounces of Phytoplankton. Once the phytoplankton is ready to harvest, could I just add more saltwater to the culture to grow it larger before harvesting, or would that crash the culture? For example, I started the culture on 3/25, the culture is ready to harvest on 4/3, I add more saltwater for the phytoplankton culture to grow more before harvesting. (Yes, I added F2 fertilizer when starting the culture.)

I apologize if I explained this poorly, as it's easier to explain in my head than in text!

Thanks for all the information!

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't make a difference (i.e. crash the culture) if you add new salt water to it, you are just diluting it.

You will effectively do the same thing when you harvest and start your new culture. You will harvest all the phyto that you grew over the past week, and transfer it to a new container. Then take a portion of the phyto you just harvested and add it to new salt water. This then restarts the growing process.

Why not just start with the full container (1 gallon total)? What is your reasoning for only filling the container partially now and adding more salt water once your culture has grown out?

Upvote 0

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Just a quick question (If I can make it make sense!). I've started a phytoplankton culture in a 1 gallon jar (128 ounces, or ~3.78 Liters). I started the culture with 1/2 gallon salt water (64 ounces or ~1.89 liters) and 16 ounces of Phytoplankton. Once the phytoplankton is ready to harvest, could I just add more saltwater to the culture to grow it larger before harvesting, or would that crash the culture? For example, I started the culture on 3/25, the culture is ready to harvest on 4/3, I add more saltwater for the phytoplankton culture to grow more before harvesting. (Yes, I added F2 fertilizer when starting the culture.)

I apologize if I explained this poorly, as it's easier to explain in my head than in text!

Thanks for all the information!
That is fine, and should not crash the culture. When starting a culture in a larger vessel it's actually better to slowly increase the volume this way. I start my 5 gallon cultures using 2liters, and start the 2 liters with 16 or 32 oz.

You will eventually need to clean/sanitize your jar but a couple weeks is usually ok.

Upvote 0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm OCD, I start each new culture in a freshly sanitized jar. :D

I line three clean jars up and put my F2 in each jar. Then I unhook the first, pour 750 ml in to a new jar and the other 750 ml in to my container for use on my tanks. Repeat x 3 jars (two Tetraselmis and one Dunaliella). Fill to the 1.5 liter mark with new salt water and rehook the airline back up.

Phyto set up.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't make a difference (i.e. crash the culture) if you add new salt water to it, you are just diluting it.

You will effectively do the same thing when you harvest and start your new culture. You will harvest all the phyto that you grew over the past week, and transfer it to a new container. Then take a portion of the phyto you just harvested and add it to new salt water. This then restarts the growing process.

Why not just start with the full container (1 gallon total)? What is your reasoning for only filling the container partially now and adding more salt water once your culture has grown out?
Thank you! I'm going to be honest I'm not sure what my reasoning was. I kind of just started that way!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I line three clean jars up and put my F2 in each jar. Then I unhook the first, pour 750 ml in to a new jar and the other 750 ml in to my container for use on my tanks. Repeat x 3 jars (two Tetraselmis and one Dunaliella). Fill to the 1.5 liter mark with new salt water and rehook the airline back up.

Phyto set up.jpg
Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine, and should not crash the culture. When starting a culture in a larger vessel it's actually better to slowly increase the volume this way. I start my 5 gallon cultures using 2liters, and start the 2 liters with 16 or 32 oz.

You will eventually need to clean/sanitize your jar but a couple weeks is usually ok.
I appreciate the information!

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Phyto set up.jpg
I’d like to start up this if you have more info on the learning process

Upvote 0

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to start up this if you have more info on the learning process
Here is a video you may find helpful.

Also, if you’re on Instagram I have a video series you may find helpful that breaks down my procedure from beginning to end. It will be under the videos tab. @doubleadeejay

Upvote 0
Back