Phytoplankton keeps dying off

LiveFreeOrReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a couple of times to start up a phytoplankton culture using a jar of live phytoplankton from algae Barn on one attempt and dinkins on another attempt. Both times my phytoculture is crashed. I'm confused on what I'm doing wrong? I use the Coral ranch f2 fertilizer and I only use two MLs for the 2,000 ml container I'm using. I'm mixing the saltwater properly. I'm not using a heater and I'm using an air stone running very slowly. I also stir the contents everyday. I have attached pictures of what it looked like after I started the culture and what it looks like now.



PXL_20261001_055858620.jpg

PXL_20261006_174416267.MP.jpg
 
Couple of questions!!!
Are you using a single strain or mixed?
Do you have a light source for it?
*Edit, also do you keep the lid cockeyed like that?
 
ahhh looks like there are little lights underneath... not sure if they're grow lights with the proper spectrum....
Based on thoughts...

If its from Algaebarn it's potentially oceanmagik, which is a blend, which the algaes will compete with each other, which IMO would just crash them all

If those aren't grow lights, the spectrum isn't proper for the algae to grow

If that's the air escape...(offset lid) you're probably getting contaminants killing off the algae

So potentially one to all three of those are my guess....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new