Phytoplankton=Nutrients?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not seeing where the nutrients would go unless you remove the phytoplankton.

If it is eaten, much of that N and P will get back into the system, I expect. Perhaps corals are different than fish in that regard, however.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you dose? For reference my tank is 30g, and what else are you running for phosphate reduction?

I have a bag of chemipure blue running in my AIO overflow and I barely feed my tank, like 1/3 a cube of mysis daily with only two fish. I just don’t know how my phosphates could have hit .2
I feed the same I have always been feeding - heavily with Mysis. I use the recommended amount for live phyto and Benepets. I run nothing for phosphate reduction. No filtration, no skimmer. Just a fuge with some macro algae in the back as I have been doing for 4 years now on this tank.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not seeing where the nutrients would go unless you remove the phytoplankton.

If it is eaten, much of that N and P will get back into the system, I expect. Perhaps corals are different than fish in that regard, however.
Here is a theory. The Live Phyto collects nutrients, than gets removed from the tank during water changes?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back