Phytoplankton Reactor

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to produce my own phytoplankton and am looking for a good reactor to purchase. Anyone have recommendations?

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to produce my own phytoplankton and am looking for a good reactor to purchase. Anyone have recommendations?
Build your own! Quality and price point better than anything commercially available in my own opinion. Just finished setting up my own and waiting for some cooler temperatures to order live phyto.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?

Phyto is typically grown in a seperate container from the tank, and typically in a jug of some sort thats about a gallon in size.
Aah yeah I’m aware of the process. I’m looking to grow my own rather than purchase. I’m not going into the benefits of dosing phyto… rather good reactor I can grow my own.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you want to do, phyto is grown in a jug, not a reactor.

A reactor is for media(carbon, gfo, cheato, etc). Perhaps your just wording it wrong?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people use cheap 2 liter bottles for 1 time use since contamination can spoil a batch. And it's easier than sterilizing

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow phyto in a 2 liter soda bottle and a cheap light, nothing more!
20210618_202458.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No I get it now. Never knew there was such things!

The one I was just looking at was from pac sun. It's an actual reactor that auto doses live phyto to the tank.

I have always just cultured it on the side, and manually added it to the tank.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No I get it now. Never knew there was such things!

The one I was just looking at was from pac sun. It's an actual reactor that auto doses live phyto to the tank.

I have always just cultured it on the side, and manually added it to the tank.
I’m interested in this as well as I would want to automate phytoplankton (growing and adding to tank).

I’m curious about how this product works - such as only adding to the tank when it reaches a certain density? Also there appears to be some phytoplankton that have specific gravity requirements (1.0017?) also how it would work with dosing pumps for continuous growth. Lots of questions here - has anyone used this product?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in this as well as I would want to automate phytoplankton (growing and adding to tank).

I’m curious about how this product works - such as only adding to the tank when it reaches a certain density? Also there appears to be some phytoplankton that have specific gravity requirements (1.0017?) also how it would work with dosing pumps for continuous growth. Lots of questions here - has anyone used this product?

I reached out to the vendor and they very quickly answered my questions.

There are two methods for use with this product - manual and auto.

The auto method sounds quite promising. The unit allows the user to pump out Phytoplankton from the reactor, as well as pump in fresh salt water from the sump/source, and also to pump in fertilizer to create more phytoplankton.

Regarding when to pump out - when the unit has reached optimal density - it sounds like its best to pump after lights out.

Simply just pump in the same amount of water you sent out, and it should be fine. It has a sealed lead to prevent contamination.

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to the vendor and they very quickly answered my questions.

There are two methods for use with this product - manual and auto.

The auto method sounds quite promising. The unit allows the user to pump out Phytoplankton from the reactor, as well as pump in fresh salt water from the sump/source, and also to pump in fertilizer to create more phytoplankton.

Regarding when to pump out - when the unit has reached optimal density - it sounds like its best to pump after lights out.

Simply just pump in the same amount of water you sent out, and it should be fine. It has a sealed lead to prevent contamination.
Seems like a glass tea jar with a spicket at the bottom might suffice as well

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back