Phytoplankton

Salty_Space

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phytoplankton should I dose to my tank? Will over dosing add phosphates? Thanks!
90gal reef with very little corals

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-224714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-224714_Chrome.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 96

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Establish stronger copepod population
With the proper chemistry the copepodes will explode without any dosing requried. These guys will eat anything so with a few fish and their waste it's all they need. Using a red light at night on my sand bed everything looks blurry with a flurry of copepodes. It's manic. Ultimately I wouldn't suggest dosing phyto unless you were trying to grow something like a clam that needed supplemental nutrition. What you're more likely to end up with is a nutrient issue that ultimately crashes your tank.

Woodman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phytoplankton should I dose to my tank? Will over dosing add phosphates? Thanks!
For my tank I daily dose 5mL for my 25. I also have a few coral frag about 5 total. I like to daily dose to feed the bottom of the food chain, the copepods. Over dosing in my opinion doesn't add a lot of phosphates.

JoeJ491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of phytoplankton will depend on the size of your tank. The average teaspoon of flaked food holds about 1,000 cells of phytoplankton. So you can start with a teaspoon, and then you may increase the dosage depending on the water quality. If you find there is too much phosphates, you can stop adding phytoplankton for a while and then resume after a few days when the phosphates have gone down.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Establish stronger copepod population
As @Jekyl mentioned- We recommend dosing OceanMagik 5ml per 20 gallons of tank volume daily for at least 2 weeks to allow your system to get used to live phytoplankton being added. After the 2 week period you can increase if needed depending on your goals/ tank inhabitants :)

OP
OP
Salty_Space

Salty_Space

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Jekyl mentioned- We recommend dosing OceanMagik 5ml per 20 gallons of tank volume daily for at least 2 weeks to allow your system to get used to live phytoplankton being added. After the 2 week period you can increase if needed depending on your goals/ tank inhabitants :)
Thank you!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AlgaeBarn

Should we close our skimmers after dosing the live phyto?
Sorry we missed this notification! I like to suggest 2 ways- you can turn your flow/wavemakers off for a bit to overcast/spot feed or some reefers will turn off their skimmer at night right before they dose the phytoplankton and then turn it back on in the morning. -Raven

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back