Picky foxface

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a foxface about 3 days ago. He is refusing to eat. I've tried mysis shrimp, flake, and algea on a clip. I have some nuisance green film growing in my tank. Online, they seem to eat quite a bit. But what do they eat????? He wasn't swimming much in the store, but they said it was because he is timid and there wasn't any structure or hiding places for him. He stays close, almost perched at my rock, with dark colors, but when he decides to swim he turns a pretty yellow again.

In the tank, I have a tribal blenny, a mccroskers wrasse, and a tiny watchman goby, along with an assortment of snails and crabs. I also have green starry coral, lavender mushroom, and a Duncan. Everyone else is doing fine.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a foxface about 3 days ago. He is refusing to eat. I've tried mysis shrimp, flake, and algea on a clip. I have some nuisance green film growing in my tank. Online, they seem to eat quite a bit. But what do they eat????? He wasn't swimming much in the store, but they said it was because he is timid and there wasn't any structure or hiding places for him. He stays close, almost perched at my rock, with dark colors, but when he decides to swim he turns a pretty yellow again.

In the tank, I have a tribal blenny, a mccroskers wrasse, and a tiny watchman goby, along with an assortment of snails and crabs. I also have green starry coral, lavender mushroom, and a Duncan. Everyone else is doing fine.

3 days may not be enough for a fish to acclimate to a new tank. Assuming you got a healthy foxface he should perk up in a few days. You may try attaching some nori to a piece of rock, they're herbivores but won't always go after all tank algae.

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days may not be enough for a fish to acclimate to a new tank. Assuming you got a healthy foxface he should perk up in a few days. You may try attaching some nori to a piece of rock, they're herbivores but won't always go after all tank algae.

Ok, maybe I'm just being paranoid and impatient lol my other fish acclimated pretty quickly. I meant to say seaweed for the clip not algea.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he eating when he left the store? Did you SEE him eat? Cant always trust the LFS.....

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your fish make it? I have a new foxface. On his 3rd day and not eating...

No, unfortunately he died shortly after this post. He didn't have anything visibly wrong with him so I don't know what the cause was. I now have another foxface, about 4 months now and he's doing great. Try some blackworms with yours. They are great for any picky fish!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites are fairly common with them so that wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue. Some bounce back and do well and others never recover.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your fish make it? I have a new foxface. On his 3rd day and not eating...

Use some string and tie nori to a rock. Drop it near where he hides in the morning and see if he goes for it. Hopefully its just aclimating to the new tank and not something more serious.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some string and tie nori to a rock. Drop it near where he hides in the morning and see if he goes for it. Hopefully its just aclimating to the new tank and not something more serious.
Not touching the Nori I put in the tank but started throwing down some brine shrimp this morning.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back