Pico 1.5 gallon tetra cube

FishFreak69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips for a tank like this. Thanks!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it your first saltwater tank? If so, don't do it. There are quire a few people on here with tanks that size however. Keep in mind that you really, really, really should not add a saltwater fish to a tank that small. Maybe a shrimp.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first, but we have no room for a bigger tank. I wasn't planning to do any fish in the tank.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you set it up yet? I'm curious to see what it looks like. Here's something I saw on YouTube lately of a tank a bit bigger than yours:

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started my first tank as a Pico, I set it up about early July and finished it cycle around early September, I went through diatom blooms, bacteria blooms, algae blooms, and dinoflagallete blooms (My most current being dinofllagallate), You will experience high points and low points, the low points are REALLY low you may even consider tearing it down from time to time, but never give in to those temptations, because A nano Pico reef is a very interesting and fun project, just after four months my tank has a small micro fauna populations which means it is probably time for me to start adding coral, I would recommenced LED lighting, and maybe a plastic wrap lid

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do It.
You have to have patience. If this is your first tank, I'll recommend going for bit larger pico, like 3.7G imagitarium, it will be easier to hook up equipments.
Do you have any more constrains other than space? What is your budget? How much temperature varies in your place (apartment or house)? How do you plan to source RO/DI water?
You have to make some hard compromises, like very little invertebrates (I would recommend no fish since you are a beginner), very few corals (those that dont have sweeper tentacles, are not invasive and hardy)

If you can live with these, its certainly possible to have a very low maintenance pico under 500$ (over a year)

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing you will struggle with is evaporation, and high nitrate and phosphate levels, though while nitrates and phosphates can be maintained by a small fuge, evaporation is what really will get you, even through I put plastic wrap on it still finds a way to escape If you can make an ATO that would be great

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing you will struggle with is evaporation, and high nitrate and phosphate levels, though while nitrates and phosphates can be maintained by a small fuge, evaporation is what really will get you, even through I put plastic wrap on it still finds a way to escape If you can make an ATO that would be great
Actually, none of these has been an issue with both of my pico reefs. I have lids for both of the tank, so evaporation is at minimal. Nitrate and phosphate has been less of issue due to the tanks not having much bioload, or extensive feeding regiment, coupled with almost 40-50% water weekly changes

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips for a tank like this. Thanks!

Had the 3g version with rocks and 3 Sexy shrimps. Had HOB filter -Aquaclear 20.
It is not made with glass or acrylic just plastic I think and found it hard to scrape the algae.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, it's a FW tank, but in a couple months I will start the tank. It's a glofish tank if that helps.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what food you all would recommend for corals such as zoanthids and blue hermit crabs

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back