Pico Reef Jar Startup Questions

ckl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on building a reef jar for my cubicle. So far, I have the 2 gallon jar, an outlet timer, the lid/light combo, Sicce 10W heater, and Finnex Thermometer Controller.

I'm not sure what to do for an air pump or air stones. Should I use something big and powerful, or is that too much airflow? Is there an ideal liters per minute number that works well? Also, what airstones are people using? I think the sand ones supposedly dissolve in saltwater, but I worry about microbubbles from a ceramic or metal airstone (I also don't really want to put metal into saltwater for obvious reasons).

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small adjustable pump with a ceramic air stone in my 20g. Haven't had any issues. I think the brand was Uniclife. Got it on Amazon cheap.
20230604_203550.gif

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same for almost 3 years-adjustable pump is best especially since ayirstone will slowly clog over time. If you use an 'overrated" (larger than necessary) pump and turn down the flow, it will be much quieter than a small pump running at full power, which may or may not be important depending on location.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back