Pincushion urchin ate my mini maxi!?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal? I thought they were reef safe... Just got the urchin yesterday and today it was on my mini maxi anemone and the nem is just a pile of white goo. Any chance the nem will make a come back (I'm doubtful)?
20190518_131000_HDR.jpg
Should I throw it in the sump? I don't have any other mini maxis but I do have 6 rock flower anemones and some btas (plus lots of coral).

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never witnessed that before. They are algae eaters mainly. My guess is that the Urchin was eating algae near your Anemone and it’s spines may have injured it. If it looks like a blob of goo, or cottage cheese throw it out as it is dead and will just degrade your water quality. Keep your eye on the Urchin, and if need be relocate it to the sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very weird. I could be wrong but it looked like it was right on top of it (eating it). Thanks for the advice, I'll toss the nem ;Dead

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good news and bad news. The good news is the white goo I saw turned out to be the super glue I had used to glue down the shells the nem was attached too (I feel dumb). The bad news is still no sign of the nem. Either the urchin ate it (unlikely?) or just bothered it and it let go and floated to the back of my rock structure.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Anemone moved then! As for the glue, I wouldn’t bother glueing anything that the Anemone is attached to because they will more than likely move to find a suitable place to live and will continue to move if conditions are not optimal.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news! Ya I know they move but just wanted to set it up in a general area and it kept fallinh off the rock. How much do mini maxis move? Can I count on it to come back into the light on its own or should I be searching for it?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will move on its own so it makes no sense for you to try and move it. They tend not to move as much as LTA’s or other larger carpets.
Rock Flower anemones also don’t move as much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back