Pink line disease

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I lost every acan in my tank one by one over the course of a week. It was fast, I tried iodine dips as well as h2o2, I couldn't save them. I kept the skeletons incase they grew back. I recently bought a cheap goniastrea and it died within a few days. A dragon soul is also doing very poorly. All other monti and hammers are fine. I noticed the goniastrea skeleton is hot pink and all the old acans are also pink. I wasn't familiar with PLS and didn't know the pink skeletons are bad and indicate infection. Did some further research that it might be a species of phormidium. So today I bought some chemiclean and dosed the tank. All the old acan skeletons are very quickly turning from pink to white. I'm hoping it kills it and the dragon soul will recover. I will follow up in a couple weeks if it is successful

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few months ago I lost every acan in my tank one by one over the course of a week. It was fast, I tried iodine dips as well as h2o2, I couldn't save them. I kept the skeletons incase they grew back. I recently bought a cheap goniastrea and it died within a few days. A dragon soul is also doing very poorly. All other monti and hammers are fine. I noticed the goniastrea skeleton is hot pink and all the old acans are also pink. I wasn't familiar with PLS and didn't know the pink skeletons are bad and indicate infection. Did some further research that it might be a species of phormidium. So today I bought some chemiclean and dosed the tank. All the old acan skeletons are very quickly turning from pink to white. I'm hoping it kills it and the dragon soul will recover. I will follow up in a couple weeks if it is successful
Curious - why do you think this is pink line disease.? It sounds like cyanobacteria Is growing on the dead coral skeletons - and that the chemiclean is improving that.??

OP
OP
S

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why do you think this is pink line disease.? It sounds like cyanobacteria Is growing on the dead coral skeletons - and that the chemiclean is improving that.??
There was a line that started at the base and worked its way towards the center. The skeleton was bright hot pink underneath the receding tissue.

OP
OP
S

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210924_195635.jpg

The color was much more pronounced right after the tissue receded. All the acans had this bright pink color to their skeletons. I'm not sure if the chemiclean is working or not. But it does seem to be much lighter than it was earlier today.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20210924_195635.jpg

The color was much more pronounced right after the tissue receded. All the acans had this bright pink color to their skeletons. I'm not sure if the chemiclean is working or not. But it does seem to be much lighter than it was earlier today.
There is a fair bit of Information out there suggesting that this is a form of cyanobacteria that 'invades' the coral and causes local areas of high CO2 - causing necrosis. Some people have had luck with medication that controls cyanobacteria - like Chemiclean. So - you are correct - it probably is 'working' - PS - I would watch the other corals carefully - and perhaps consider a chemiclean treatment if there is any evidence. (Note its is a rare type of cyanobacteria - apparently)

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fair bit of Information out there suggesting that this is a form of cyanobacteria that 'invades' the coral and causes local areas of high CO2 - causing necrosis. Some people have had luck with medication that controls cyanobacteria - like Chemiclean. So - you are correct - it probably is 'working' - PS - I would watch the other corals carefully - and perhaps consider a chemiclean treatment if there is any evidence. (Note its is a rare type of cyanobacteria - apparently)
Do you happen to have any links to articles (or other threads) discussing this issue?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you happen to have any links to articles (or other threads) discussing this issue?

Back