Pink spot goby.

Mhalko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink spotted watchman goby is acting strange and almost seems to be on his way out and I don’t know why. I have checked ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite all coming back with numbers on par to what they should be. All the other fish in the tank are acting fine and same with the one coral. Salinity is 1.027. I don’t see any noticeable signs of parasites or diseases, only a little cloudy eyes and labored breathing. Ate last night but I haven’t see him eat today. Any help or ideas on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank?
how old is the tank?
Any new additions?
What’s the most recent change to the tank and when was it done?

OP
OP
Mhalko

Mhalko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank?
how old is the tank?
Any new additions?
What’s the most recent change to the tank and when was it done?

He has been in the tank for at least a month or two now with the only new addition being adding a clown back into the tank after I took down my nano tank that that clown was the soul fish in. The tank itself is going on 6 months, I did a water change 5 days ago.

OP
OP
Mhalko

Mhalko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been in the tank for at least a month or two now with the only new addition being adding a clown back into the tank after I took down my nano tank that that clown was the soul fish in. The tank itself is going on 6 months, I did a water change 5 days ago.

Also I’m not dosing anything just water changes. Only have the one tree coral and it was on the rock I got when I first setup the tank.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see any cuts or scrapes on him. Bacterial infection is possible with the cloudy eyes you mention.

another possibility is flukes. A fresh water dip would help with that. Before you do anything let’s hear some other opinions.

OP
OP
Mhalko

Mhalko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see any cuts or scrapes on him. Bacterial infection is possible with the cloudy eyes you mention.

another possibility is flukes. A fresh water dip would help with that. Before you do anything let’s hear some other opinions.
No visible cuts that I can see or have seen. Is he was swimming all the way up to the surface last night and was swimming next to my clowns almost as if he was one of them so I took a rock and tried to make him a new little hiding area without taking away his previous one although he’s not showing any fear and isn’t being spooked unless you touch him.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok breathing, swimming to the surface, cloudy eyes....flukes?? @HotRocks would prob be much better at this game then me. Let’s see if he’s around.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try the freshwater dip? I don’t want to rush and cause another problem but idk what else to try
I don’t consider myself educated enough to make the call. I’d feel more comfortable hearing a second or third opinion before I’d do anything. The less stress the better in this situation and multiple treatments might not be the best.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect flukes assuming ammonia is 0.

You could freshwater dip to confirm or just treat with praziquantel.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eyes are common with bacterial infections. But, most bacterial infections are secondary to other problems first...many times parasites in fish, such as flukes. Do you have a broad-spectrum antibiotic present, ie: Kanaplex or API Fin & Body Cure? If it is bacterial, it is probably gram-negative and this seems to be coming on quickly...which means you don't have much time before losing the fish.

On the way to quarantine, you can do a FW dip to see if any flukes fall off...or a 90min Ruby Reef Rally bath possibly as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try an Epsom salt bath for the eyes. Melafix should help it clear otherwise teramyacyn will work

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back