pipefish care - new pictures added

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
2,627
Reaction score
108
Location
Milford, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All: I just ordered two dragonfaced pipefish and am very excited. For those of you that have kept these beautiful creatures long-term, I would love to hear your advice - especially in regards to feeding.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had my pretty awesome LFS get mine onto nutramar ova. However nutramar is unavailable right now due to issues. Mine eat pods for the most part now. You need a pretty hefty population of pods for these guys as they graze all day long. They pretty much have the same requirements as mandarins.
 
Considered a special needs fish due to their food requirements. Difficult to train on prepared foods, but not impossible. Should have a good source of Copepods available just in case. Otherwise, what Squishie said :)
 
When I had my yellow multibanded pipefish, pods were a major source of food. I would buy tisbe pods about once a month. It also liked Mysis. I found that the Hikari brand mysis were smaller which seem to be better for a small fish. I bought the cube packs.
 
just a couple of updated pictures

DSCN3317.jpg
DSCN3320.jpg
DSCN3322.jpg
DSCN3323.jpg
 
I'm shameless - another bump for pictures of the pipefish.....I really love these fish! :)
 
They are amazing fish. I'm debating getting some. :)
 
so far, they have been eating pods and cyclops. I have also given them some baby brine and R.O.E. they definitely seem to be social with each other, they split up and then meet up throughout the evening. They also are way more active swimmers than I anticipated and handle flow very well. All of my other fish seemt to ignore them - my goby occasionally pops up and swims right near them. I love that one picture where his head is peaking up above the rock - looks like a miniature ostrich lol
 
I don't feed mine at all. It's feeds on the pods from my fuge. It's almost 7"now. Got it around 5" about 2 years ago.
 
I got these 2 pipefish about a week ago. Added 2 bags of algagen pods, and have been mixing Larry's Reef Frenzy, and cyclopeeze. I'd rather overdo it at this point
 
Which pipefish are the easiest to keep? I've heard dragons aren't too bad, but I have no experience.
 
I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this. The reason I chose the dragon-faced is because they can seemingly handle a variety of flow and tank mates. In my researching, it seemed many people suggested that the blue-striped were hardier to keep. Paul B is an expert pipefish keeper, he's be a great resource to answer that question.
 
image.jpg

Have had a dragon faced pipefish for over two years in our 75 gal mixed reef. Besides eating whatever he finds, he also eats prime reef flake food.
 
Oh, I just saw this. Hi to you vlangel! Pipefish are doing well - I tried to get a picture - they weren't together :(
DSCN3336.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new