Pipefish quarantine

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I collected 2 northern pipefish about 1.5-2 months ago, and they are living just fine in my 20 gallon quarantine. Being I caught them in the wild, I am hesitant to add them to add them to my DT. I'm notreally worried about ich, but I would die if I introduced velvet into my tank again. I want to know how easily a pipefish will show stress/signs of disease. They are eating well, but I am scared of making the wrong choice

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go ahead and put them in, especially since they've been healthy with no sign of parasites for 2 months. A good way to tell if a pipefish is healthy is to see whether it's eating or not, and yours are.

Also, surely you have some wild-caught fish in your DT? It would be the same thing :)

Last edited:

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're good to go after a 2 month quarantin.

Just out of curiosity, what temperature do you keep them at? I am able to collect them locally as well, and have in the past, but I'm afraid to introduce them into my tank for fear of overheating them

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what you're feeding them? Did you wean them onto frozen mysis? I can also collect them.

Mine literally ate flake food without issue. He was badly wounded when I found him too, so although he didn't live long he ate well while I had him. Crazy actually.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go ahead and put them in, especially since they've been healthy with no sign of parasites for 2 months. A good way to tell if a pipefish is healthy is to see whether it's eating or not, and yours are.

Also, surely you have some wild-caught fish in your DT? It would be the same thing :)
Good point. I am usually able to closely inspect other fish, but I'm not sure how a pipefish would show disease.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're good to go after a 2 month quarantin.

Just out of curiosity, what temperature do you keep them at? I am able to collect them locally as well, and have in the past, but I'm afraid to introduce them into my tank for fear of overheating them
The water goes from the 60s in the winter and the 80s in the summer, I keep them in heated water

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what you're feeding them? Did you wean them onto frozen mysis? I can also collect them.
I originally fed them live grass shrimp I collected at the same spot, then onto live brine then onto frozen mysis

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider giving them the Black Molly Test. Just have a home for the Black Molly after the test period ;)

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider giving them the Black Molly Test. Just have a home for the Black Molly after the test period ;)

I breed saltwater mollies. They have no immunity to any saltwater diseases. I dont have black ones though, only white, dalmatian and creamsicle. Would that be okay?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed saltwater mollies. They have no immunity to any saltwater diseases. I dont have black ones though, only white, dalmatian and creamsicle. Would that be okay?
Nope. Need freshwater mollies that you transition to salt. The idea is they have been in freshwater and zero saltwater parasites and diseases. So they will react quickly and easier to spot.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Need freshwater mollies that you transition to salt. The idea is they have been in freshwater and zero saltwater parasites and diseases. So they will react quickly and easier to spot.
Yes I transitioned mine myself. From freshwater

Back